Allcock/Youngs Delmatic advise help

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Paul F
Sea Trout

Allcock/Youngs Delmatic advise help

Post by Paul F »

Of the Estate tackle i am selling I have a reel whick may be an Allcock/JW young cross over, can anybody with knowledge of these reels throw any light and pehaps suggest a value please?

This reel is mint, it has never been on a rod!

It is in a fitted, labeled JW Young reels - Delmatic

It is a white/cream finish with black plastic spool rotor, with white spool, folding handle and clp.

One side has Delmatic Mark Two badge
One side has JW youngs badge
It has a spare spool and leaflet/instructions
Please see photo's

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Re: Allcock/Youngs Delmatic advise help

Post by PershoreHarrier »

The Delmatic appears in the 1967 and 1968 Allcocks Anglers Guides along with the Ambidex Mk 9.

I think the Delmatic was basically an Ambidex Mk9 but with more plastic bits but of course I could be wrong but that is how I remember them come 50 years ago. As a comparison the 1968 price for an Ambidex Mk 9 was £8/6/10 and the Delmatic was £6/0/9.

What that translates to now - well I could not say but finding another mint / unused Delmatic must have some kind of reasonable value.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The Delmatic was launched by Ted Young in 1964 to celebrate the amalgamation of JW Young and Allcock, which was to be known as Allcocks Youngs. This was a deal, suggested by Ted to his re-financers Cope-Allman, actually owned by entrepreneur Leonard Matchan. Ted's suggestion was that they make a similar offer to the Allcock board and that's what happened, with Allcock happily getting on board.

Malcolm Lee of Lee Products heard about the amalgamation, and fearing it would sink his company, asked to join in. Matchan leapt at the chance to consume another competitor and the new company was re-named Top Tackle in 1965.

There is very little Allcocks Youngs stuff out there...a few magazine adverts of the time.

Note the advert is from 1963, suggesting the amalgamation plans were cooking for some time

By 1966 Matchan had shown his true colours and flogged the three of them to Shakespeare. Thus began the end of British tackle manufacturing, with even Hardy getting bought out just a few years ago....what's left is all U.S. Pure Fishing owned now.

Now the Delmatic seems to have instantly appeared as a Mark Two for some unknown reason, but it was a big change.....new plastic gears in Delrin ( hence the Delmatic name I have always imagined), the swan-necked body and a rather cheap black plastic rotor and its drive gear. It had a 'proper' bail arm for the first time too.

I don't imagine Ted Young magiced all this out of thin air in 1964 for one moment....I'm sure he had been working on it in 1963 and knew he couldn't finance it going into full production. In fact, as I discovered a few years ago, JW Young were already majority owned by Matchan through his holding companies, Grace's Guide using the term that Cope Allman owned ' the rump' of JW Young already.

New owners Shakespeare soon dropped all these reels despite all bar the Match being given the new swan-necked shape too.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Nobby wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm The Delmatic was launched by Ted Young in 1964 to celebrate the amalgamation of JW Young and Allcock, which was to be known as Allcocks Youngs. This was a deal, suggested by Ted to his re-financers Cope-Allman, actually owned by entrepreneur Leonard Matchan. Ted's suggestion was that they make a similar offer to the Allcock board and that's what happened, with Allcock happily getting on board.

Malcolm Lee of Lee Products heard about the amalgamation, and fearing it would sink his company, asked to join in. Matchan leapt at the chance to consume another competitor and the new company was re-named Top Tackle in 1965.

There is very little Allcocks Youngs stuff out there...a few magazine adverts of the time.

Note the advert is from 1963, suggesting the amalgamation plans were cooking for some time

By 1966 Matchan had shown his true colours and flogged the three of them to Shakespeare. Thus began the end of British tackle manufacturing, with even Hardy getting bought out just a few years ago....what's left is all U.S. Pure Fishing owned now.

Now the Delmatic seems to have instantly appeared as a Mark Two for some unknown reason, but it was a big change.....new plastic gears in Delrin ( hence the Delmatic name I have always imagined), the swan-necked body and a rather cheap black plastic rotor and its drive gear. It had a 'proper' bail arm for the first time too.

I don't imagine Ted Young magiced all this out of thin air in 1964 for one moment....I'm sure he had been working on it in 1963 and knew he couldn't finance it going into full production. In fact, as I discovered a few years ago, JW Young were already majority owned by Matchan through his holding companies, Grace's Guide using the term that Cope Allman owned ' the rump' of JW Young already.

New owners Shakespeare soon dropped all these reels despite all bar the Match being given the new swan-necked shape too.
Thanks Nobby,
That is great interesting stuff and very useful :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Your reel does make me wonder if it was a very early release and in fact, Ted Young gave it the Allcock name later on. There are a few out there with metal rotors......I think we've seen two on these boards....and I think they were badged as Youngs too.

Galician
Ruffe

Post by Galician »

I'm rather late to the party on this subject but I to have exactly the same Delmatic, not as pristine as yours, which I purchased from a fellow collector in 2017. I was confused by there being both an Allcocks and Youngs badged Delmatic. As we Ambidex collectors are aware there is no Ambidex Mark 8 and from the little research I undertook I was advised that Youngs badged up a few Delmatics in their name to compensate for their being no Mark 8 as they were already producing and selling the Ambidex Mark 9. Confussion always seems to reign when a producer/manufacturer is experiencing money difficulties. It was perhaps easier for them to badge up the Allcocks Mark 2 as a Youngs from their part completed Delmatic stock.
Hope this may be of some help.
Galician

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”