Flick 'em, pre war or post war?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Crucian
Eel

Flick 'em, pre war or post war?

Post by Crucian »

Could anyone help with a manufacturing date for this reel please?
I purchased it this week and I am very pleased with it. After a clean out and a light oil it now spins superbly, much better than the later post war Rapidex, Trudex etc. Having a lever check is nice too. It looks to have been polished at some point, should it be painted black all over? Maybe it has been painted?
ImageImageImage

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Flick 'em, pre war or post war?

Post by Harry H »

I'm no expert but that looks like a pre-war Young's pattern number 2A, I think they were as yours is polished spool and black back, nice reels :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I believe that is an unbadged Perfection Flick 'Em with the optional lever check. They were apparently made from about 1932 to 1939 for the four and one eight version, but only up to 1937 for the three and three quarter inch version.

The spool was polished aluminium, but the back was leaded in some chemical way that would be illegal now, they say! But yours does appear to have been painted at some time as its so very black and shiny.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Thanks chaps,
It is the 3 3/4" version, so that dates it nicely.
I am surprised at just how good this reel is, the fits and tolerances are very good indeed, easily as good as the Aerials and early Hardy 'pins that cost many times more to buy. I look forward to using it.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I too have one - a treasure to use! On the reverse mine states :- "PERFECTION FLICK-EM". I do like the ratchet lever in the rim.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

A lovely reel Crucian. I like the combination of the black, polished and brass parts .
I'm not sure if it's valid factually but these earlier reels seem to have more of a hand crafted feel .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Possibly made in smaller numbers so more care in the making?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I was told that this reel was an improvement by JW Youngs on the Homer reel of the same name. I don't know it it was a licensed thing or just a gentleman's agreement, but I do know that one of the improvements was the 'wheel in the hole' adjustable drag which was initially patented by Allcock AND JW Young in 1911!

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publica ... 4776A&KC=A#

I had thought this was a sole Youngs patent from about 1926, but the above one seems to pre-date it substantially and I can no longer find the 1926 one.....

For static water fishing these reels can get you in a tangle as the clearance behind the spool is larger than that on later reels...allowing the line in....on running water this seems less inclined to happen. Post war, as we have been discussing elsewhere recently, the Rapidex having replaced this reel, it was initially given a 'flat-topped' centrepin spindle, but they soon reverted back to this design.

They were made and badged for so many other tackle dealers and manufactures, I'm sure one of our members has a list of all that have turned up so far...now who was it.....?

The rarest off the lot, perversely, seems to be one badged for J W Young themselves! Closely followed by the Gamaflo, for Gamages, the London department store.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

According to Elwyn Attwoods excellent book on J W Young and Sons, the 3 1/2" dia version of the pattern 12 was first mentioned in their 1938 catalogue, previously only available in 4" dia.. The more modern Rapidex version came out in 1946.

Made under different names for various retailers such as Fosters "Perfection". A Carter & Co as "The Special Sheffield Pattern Roach Reel". George Wilkins "The Perfection Flick-em". W Cummins as the "Homer Roach Reel". H Clayton as "the Fenland". Modern Arms as the "Snapham". Allcocks as the "Flick-em". Helical sold a version as "The Helical Bottom Fishers Aluminium Swimming Reel". There's a mouthful for you.

Here's a couple of pics of my 3 3/4" Modarcom "Snapham".
ImageImageImage

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm According to Elwyn Attwoods excellent book on J W Young and Sons, the 3 1/2" dia version of the pattern 12 was first mentioned in their 1938 catalogue, previously only available in 4" dia.. The more modern Rapidex version came out in 1946.

Made under different names for various retailers such as Fosters "Perfection". A Carter & Co as "The Special Sheffield Pattern Roach Reel". George Wilkins "The Perfection Flick-em". W Cummins as the "Homer Roach Reel". H Clayton as "the Fenland". Modern Arms as the "Snapham". Allcocks as the "Flick-em". Helical sold a version as "The Helical Bottom Fishers Aluminium Swimming Reel". There's a mouthful for you.

Wal.
Incredible to think there were so many versions , was there an "Albert Smith " too ?

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”