Allcocks Aerial information and advice please .

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Allcocks Aerial information and advice please .

Post by Keston »

Hi all
A good friend of mine owns the Allcocks Aerial in these images below . Unfortunately I know very little about Aerials so was hoping you good chaps might share some thoughts on this one .
Kind regards
John

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Allcocks Aerial information and advice please .

Post by Deaf Cat »

Some more photos / measurements would help, but I will guess at pre-war.

Ventilated, all Aluminium, hidden V check, possibly brass reel seat. A 7950 of some kind, T9?
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks Deaf Cat .
I'm waiting to hear back about The dimensions .
John

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

I now own this reel , it is my first early Aerial . She functions as she should but has damage at the top of one handle, it looks like there are also repairs to the backplate that do not transfer inside , so not holes just dings maybe .
I would like to know more and understand the best way to clean it up .
John

JockScott
Minnow

Post by JockScott »

Hi buddy
I can confirm it is a T9 7950 and originally would have been fitted wit a line guide.
A good scrub with with the magic fairy liquid and water works wonders.
If wd40 does not work for the seized parts a bucket of diesel for a couple of days works better but tape up the handles, they can darken in colour.
js

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

JockScott wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:33 pm Hi buddy
I can confirm it is a T9 7950 and originally would have been fitted wit a line guide.
A good scrub with with the magic fairy liquid and water works wonders.
If wd40 does not work for the seized parts a bucket of diesel for a couple of days works better but tape up the handles, they can darken in colour.
js
Hi JS
I greatly appreciate the information and advice .
Would you hazard a guess as to a likely date of manufacture.?
I did see the holes for the line guards , I was however unaware they might have been standard rather than an option.

Many thanks
John

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

The line guide would have been an option at the time, but once it's been fitted the holes give the game away.
Still, it would have been in the wrong place for a modern left hand winder!

Like JS says; a toothbrush with Fairy Liquid and water will work wonders to get rid of the grime. Then WD40 to get things moving again.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Thanks Deaf Cat
The clean up is going well . It's a good runner . Biggest issue is the end float screw . It's very worn and I doubt I will get a purchase to unscrew it .

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

If the end-float screw won't budge, try tightening it a little first..this sometimes breaks the grip of the corrosion, as can a light whack with a hammer on the screwdriver handle...with the spool off the reel....

The lightest oil I've found, if you don't have any 'releasing or penetrating oil' like Plus Gas, is trombone slide oil! I'd definitely give whatever you use a few days to try and sort it out before reaching for the hammer. The slide oil is great for releasing stuck handles.

If it won't shift it's not the end of the world...the brass screw will have shaped itself to the tip of the centrepin shaft perfectly...it's just a bit harder to clean, that's all. Cotton buds are great, though they can leave a hair or two behind, which will sound very loud.

When a petrol dampened cotton bud comes out as clean as it went it.......it's ready to leave to dry and then lubricate.

Since you've rescued a wreck I shall donate a bottle of my secret centrepin oil at Romsey if you're passing my table?

Now I know next to nothing about Aerials, but didn't the 7950 have an open spool back showing more spokes and the check mechanism.....???

http://www.reelantiqueangling.co.uk/all ... l-320.html

Ah, it seems this T9 might be similar....????/

https://picclick.co.uk/Good-Allcocks-3- ... 91419.html

Looks like the chaps were spot on!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Nobby wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:45 pm If the end-float screw won't budge, try tightening it a little first..this sometimes breaks the grip of the corrosion, as can a light whack with a hammer on the screwdriver handle...with the spool off the reel....

The lightest oil I've found, if you don't have any 'releasing or penetrating oil' like Plus Gas, is trombone slide oil! I'd definitely give whatever you use a few days to try and sort it out before reaching for the hammer. The slide oil is great for releasing stuck handles.

If it won't shift it's not the end of the world...the brass screw will have shaped itself to the tip of the centrepin shaft perfectly...it's just a bit harder to clean, that's all. Cotton buds are great, though they can leave a hair or two behind, which will sound very loud.

When a petrol dampened cotton bud comes out as clean as it went it.......it's ready to leave to dry and then lubricate.

Since you've rescued a wreck I shall donate a bottle of my secret centrepin oil at Romsey if you're passing my table?

Now I know next to nothing about Aerials, but didn't the 7950 have an open spool back showing more spokes and the check mechanism.....???

http://www.reelantiqueangling.co.uk/all ... l-320.html

Ah, it seems this T9 might be similar....????/

https://picclick.co.uk/Good-Allcocks-3- ... 91419.html

Looks like the chaps were spot on!
Hi Nobby
I'm not too concerned over the grub screw at the moment , the reel runs perfectly . I will probably use the reel for a while before addressing the grub .

I don't know that I've rescued the reel , just a tidy up and maintenance . I'm not sure whether to keep the patina or polish it .... guess I like the Patina.
I'm surprised you have any pin oil left ? It's good stuff and kind offer . I will of course be visiting your table, you always have great oil/ grease / floats / reels and bits and bobs . Mind you there is always a queue of people waiting to chat with you so you are always busy .

Yes I agree the chaps were spot on with 7950 T9 now I have read more . Quite a basic and common one .
John

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”