Help with changing to LH wind please

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Buller
Rudd

Help with changing to LH wind please

Post by Buller »

Hi guys
Can someone please advise on how I might change this to a left hand wind set-up please. It is the aforementioned Aerial.
Many thanks
31AA3A3C-C295-43C2-A02B-8537F1C4DE13.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Help with changing to LH wind please

Post by Watermole+ »

It doesn't appear that you can reverse the check pawl, which is the normal procedure, though this may be possible.

Alternatively, you have to carefully tweak the spring shape so that the contact with check wheel bias is on the other side of spindle centre line. Doing that should make it click louder on line payout to line wind-in.

To my mind, that spring shape doesn't look original, but will stand corrected.

Sorry I cannot be of more help, but it is difficult without having the reel to hand.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I've used a blob of epoxy to do what Watermole suggests. Remove and degrease the pawl and, using a toothpick or cocktail stick, place a blob of epoxy on the edge of the pawl so that it sits between the pawl and the spring and tilts the pawl. Looking at you picture it looks like you need to rotate the pawl clockwise as you look at it. You might need a couple of blobs one on top of the other to get enough tilt. Be bold as you can always remove the epoxy if you don't like the effect!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Buller
Rudd

Post by Buller »

Thanks for the suggestion guys really appreciate it

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

It might be worth asking Garry Mills as he often converts Aerials.

I imagine it's done by re-shaping the pawl rear edge to make the tooth move over to the left as shown in your photo.

Of course, this can't be undone and to do it you need to drill out the rivet holding the pawl anyway......Then you've got to make another one.....

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”