Rapidex, cleaning and maintenance help

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Joshluke
Dace

Rapidex, cleaning and maintenance help

Post by Joshluke »

I fancy giving my Rapidex a good clean and what not so it's all ready for the new season, I just don't know where to start. I apologize for the list of questions but I'm rather new to this.
How do I take the spool of the back plate, I just can't figure it out? (Pictures would be a big help if you have time)
What do I use, sewing machine oil?
What parts do I oil?
Is there a way I can polish it up, making my pin look all new and shiny (too an extent ofcourse)?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Joshluke
Dace

Re: Rapidex, cleaning and maintenance help

Post by Joshluke »

Sorry I forgot to add this:
When I bat the pin, it doesn't spin on its own, should it? I used to own an Okuma Sheffield which when spun, spun of its own accord for around a minute. My Rapidex only spins when either line is pulled from it or it's turned using the handles.
Fishing is not just a sport, it's a way of life. It's an escape from reality, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. It's just you, a river, and an old Willow tree hidden away from everything.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Have a read through this thread Joshluke, especially details on how to clean by Nobby..

viewtopic.php?f=279&t=14908&hilit=rapidex+cleaning

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Thanks reedling. That's perfect, I'll read through it when I get some time.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Just a little on how to remove the drum and also how to adjust the end float as Nobby doesn't cover those bits.

The drum is held on by the little lever you can see under the black plastic cap in the middle of the drum (the one with three 3 screws). In the centre of the black cap is a screw which adjusts the end float (the amount of play) of the drum on the spindle. Before removing the drum pull it gently away from the back plate and push it back. You should feel a small amount of play. If you don't, this is probably the main cause of your reel not spinning freely. Adjust this first:

Unscrew the screw a couple of turns until there is a fair amount of play and the drum spins freely.

Now wind the screw back in until the drum doesn't spin. Don't be too enthusiastic here!

Now wind the screw back out about a quarter of a turn - the end float should now be about right.

Now take off the drum by moving the lever away from its stop and lifting off the drum.

You can now clean the spindle (especially the groove near the top) and the bronze bush in the centre of the drum. I use meths for this. Also check the groove in the circumference of the drum for dirt and clean if necessary.

Once you've done this put a few drops of sewing machine oil on the tip of the spindle, put the drum back on and give it a spin - things should be a lot better!

You can improve things more by following Nobby's instructions above.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

SeanM wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 pm Just a little on how to remove the drum and also how to adjust the end float as Nobby doesn't cover those bits.

The drum is held on by the little lever you can see under the black plastic cap in the middle of the drum (the one with three 3 screws). In the centre of the black cap is a screw which adjusts the end float (the amount of play) of the drum on the spindle. Before removing the drum pull it gently away from the back plate and push it back. You should feel a small amount of play. If you don't, this is probably the main cause of your reel not spinning freely. Adjust this first:

Unscrew the screw a couple of turns until there is a fair amount of play and the drum spins freely.

Now wind the screw back in until the drum doesn't spin. Don't be too enthusiastic here!

Now wind the screw back out about a quarter of a turn - the end float should now be about right.

Now take off the drum by moving the lever away from its stop and lifting off the drum.

You can now clean the spindle (especially the groove near the top) and the bronze bush in the centre of the drum. I use meths for this. Also check the groove in the circumference of the drum for dirt and clean if necessary.

Once you've done this put a few drops of sewing machine oil on the tip of the spindle, put the drum back on and give it a spin - things should be a lot better!

You can improve things more by following Nobby's instructions above.
Hi Sean, I don't think I have a black cap and float screw, am I missing it?

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Just replace "black" with "golden" and there you have it. The float screw is right in the centre of the reel. You'll need a quite narrow screw driver.
As far as I can see it in the picture, the float screw on your reel is much too deep in the cap, so you'll have to wind it back a fair amount.
The lever that holds the drum to the centrepin seems to be missing though, but I might be wrong as the picture is a little out of focus.

The Rapidex has an adjustable drag.
Try turning this small wheel. It should move closer to the centre or away from the centre. The closer the wheel is to the centre the less freely your reel will spin.

Good luck!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Joshluke
Dace

Post by Joshluke »

Duebel wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 am Just replace "black" with "golden" and there you have it. The float screw is right in the centre of the reel. You'll need a quite narrow screw driver.
As far as I can see it in the picture, the float screw on your reel is much too deep in the cap, so you'll have to wind it back a fair amount.
The lever that holds the drum to the centrepin seems to be missing though, but I might be wrong as the picture is a little out of focus.

The Rapidex has an adjustable drag.
Try turning this small wheel. It should move closer to the centre or away from the centre. The closer the wheel is to the centre the less freely your reel will spin.

Good luck!
Thanks Duebel, upon close inspection I can see the Float screw. Also, I'm glad that nothing is missing as it saves a few pennys. There is a release lever on my pin, just a bad picture as you stated.
I'm just waiting for a delivery of some sewing machine oil and I'm all ready to restore it. I may even pick up some polish and do a before/after restoration thread as I'd like to compare the results.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”