Salar the Centrepin.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Salar the Centrepin.

Post by Fredline »

I picked up the reel recently and it is the first one I have ever seen. The Allcocks Salar 3½" made in 1939 for 1 year only in this size. It has a very simple slipping clutch built around the revolving drum with brake pads positioned under each handle. The centre ring is adjusted to required drag and it works superbly well. It has the usual J W Youngs suspects with the wheel in the hole adjustable drag, spring spool release, a rim mounted optional check lever and black Xylonite (chewing gum) handles. It was designed by Mr W. Stanley who had more than a hand in another of Allcocks reels. The 4½" and 4" versions appeared in 1937 and all models were not a good seller in particular the 3½" which was only available for a couple of months and together with the Aerial match came along at the wrong time.
Can anyone confirm if this reel appears in the 1939 Allcocks catalogue? Or any catalogue.
ImageImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Re: Salar the Centrepin.

Post by LuckyLuca »

Cor, that's tasty John! Shame it didn't catch on, more of us would stand a chance of finding one!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

That's a lovely find Fred, patent dates to March 1935.
I wonder how many variations of that Young's pattern there are?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having had the pleasure of handling this reel, I can vouch for the fact that it is an absolute delight! It is in wonderful condition and rare, well done John another great find! :Hat:

Huttojon
Minnow

Post by Huttojon »

I have the 1939 - 1940 catalogue which lists the 31/2 inch reel at 42 shillings.The 1937 - 1938 catalogue includes the reel but in the 4 and 41/2 inch sizes only.A rare reel and a great find.HJ

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

That looks fantastic! I want one like that, now.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Nice find!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lovely looking 'pin that Fredline. The added line guard is very neatly done.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

The classic book 'Salar the Salmon' by Henry Williamson (Tarka the Otter) was first published in Oct 1935, did this book give the reel it's name ? Seems likely to me given your splendid reels production date.
Tight lines Dave

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Rutland Rod wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 pm The classic book 'Salar the Salmon' by Henry Williamson (Tarka the Otter) was first published in Oct 1935, did this book give the reel it's name ? Seems likely to me given your splendid reels production date.
Tight lines Dave
Just read Harry's earlier post that this model was first patented in March 1935 so I may be wrong !

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”