Trudex handle

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Bjp
Chub

Trudex handle

Post by Bjp »

The handle on my Trudex seems to be a tad loose (pointed to in pic) looks like some sort of rivet is there any way it can be tightened ? its not terrible just rocks a bit at present

regards

bjp :Hat:

Although looking again there also maybe a very small pin above the rivet hard to know which one maybe the issue

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Re: Trudex handle

Post by OldTackle »

Fixed mine by widening the center hole using a philips screw driver and a hammer. But gently!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I had a similar problem with a similar reel, I used a wide centre punch and tapped the centre of that rivet to expand its fit. it worked for me and the reel has been fine since.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This was a recognised problem with the Trudex and later ones had a steel pin inserted. You could do that with a drill hole and a broken drill shaft, but a tap with a centrepunch should do it.

Hold the reel back so the rivet heads is sitting on a hard block of wood and hold a centrepunch on the tail of the rivet. Half a dozen very light taps with a hammer should do it......You're trying to gently tease the metal to a new shape, not deform it with two heavy blows. If it doesn't work immediately, just keep up the light taps until it does. That rivet is 53 years old.........

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

Thank you gents i thought that was the only way.

Nobby mine looks like that one in pic, with what looks like a pin above the rivet head.

regards

Bernie

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Ah then the fix wasn't much of a fix after all. If I can help sort it just let me know.

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

i am not sure that is helping in fact i think it is getting worse even though i am being very careful so i will leave it for now and when we meet up maybe you could have a look at it for me see what you think Nobby

regards

bernie :Hat:

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Will do, Bernie.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”