Best Ambidex?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Best Ambidex?

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Of all the Ambidex models, which is considered the best version?
I don't mean the most rare or desirable but the nicest one to use for general purpose fishing?
Apologies if this has been covered before, I couldn't see anything from a quick search.....
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Best Ambidex?

Post by Nobby »

Not being awkward but I think the Delmatic is the best 'version'.

They are always smooth to use due to a different gear material....Delrin plastic instead of Tufnol composite....but they aren't without their faults.

The rotor head shaft and its worm gear are simply black plastic and it can get damaged and ruin the reel completely. To be frank I've only come across this twice, they are usually just fine.

There is however a rare Ambidex with the smooth plastic gears and a metal rotor head and shaft...I think Lee and Sean have one...possibly the only ones! These reels. along with the later Mark Nines and Matchs can be very nice indeed.

I'm not struck with the later Deluxes as the spool releasing mechanism, using a Rapidex spool spring, is a bit dodgy....but a good one would be OK.

Equally, I once had a early ( 1954?) Ambidex 2FP which turned over like a sewing machine, but I spent several days polishing the internals to get it like that......

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ah, I love questions like this. Of the Ambidexs I've been fortunate enough to own or use. 3 have caused a major reaction in me .....

The Delmatic is lovely and smooth, easy to maintain and I love the swan neck. However, I don't like the white paint job and, from ones I've seen, think the quality of it is poor compared to the paint job on earlier versions - cost cutting I assume.

I love the British Racing Green looks of my Sealey Flocast Mark 8. It's not the smoothest though and that spool release mechanism is a trying too hard to be clever pig's ear designed by a committee of none-anglers! Just try trying to change spool on a cold day on the bank! I'm always convinced I'll drop it or that it will break.

Luckily, my first Ambidex was a Mark 9 in electric blue and black with the swan neck. It's smooth, a delight to use and look at, plus even I can maintain it that way.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I put it badly in my last post...the Mark Nine does indeed have the later Delrin gears and they are noticeably smoother.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

' Ornery ' a rare word in any conversation unless your'e talking to Nobby describing working on the mechanics of the Ambidex.

I like them all in equal measures but took the best advice I could get, which was if you get a good one that runs, then keep
it. They all have their charm right back to the crackle paint version you'll read about on here.

For carp it's a humpback casting reel, full bale with the upgraded handle for me, don't ask me about no's or types as despite reading the guidance on here I'm still not sure which is which.

For roach ( smallish ) I think the half bale is still great to use on a pond or still water, the older the version the more basic they are, but perfectly functional.

Like others have opined collecting them is contagious and fraught, due to the variations. :tea:
niceroach

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

My favourites are the Swan Neck Mk Six, The Mk Nine and the Match. Possibly the best Ambidex variant I've found is the metal rotored Delmatic (mentioned by Nobby above and which we think has a repainted, modified Mk Six body) which is rare but worth buying if you spot one.

I do have one gripe with both the Ambidex and the Delmatic which is that the bail arm sits too far over, causing the line runs on the edge of the line roller. I think this is due to general wear and tear, but every reel I've got has the same problem so it is probably a design fault. There's no easy fix for this as the bit of metal which carries the line roller is prone to snapping (yes I've done it!) if you try to bend it.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I actually prefer the half bail over all of them, once cleaned and oiled they run lovely, are great to use and definitely look the best on a vintage rod.
Not carp reels of course but for lighter line fishing and perch spinning they are great little reels.

I have recently bought an early Duco with the wrinkle black paint in almost mint condition, it even has the hex nuts instead of screws for the handle.
It has 89 scratched inside the side plate so possibly the 89th reel made. A couple of pics below..

Wal.

ImageImageImage

Paul_V
Bleak

Post by Paul_V »

lovely....

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Gosh that's a nice reel Wal.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Here's my later than Wal's, Duco, with all smooth paint and badged both sides.

:Hat:
niceroach

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”