Ambidex Match

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Davejass
Rudd

Ambidex Match

Post by Davejass »

Hi I have just acquired an Ambidex Match. It looks quite good but seems a little stiff. I have tried to remove the side plate to look inside but after removing the two screws on the side plate it will only move slightly but will not come off.
Is there a knack to this or am I doing something wrong? I didn't want to force it in case I break something.
Your help is needed on this please. I found a lot about Ambidex reels but not too much on the Match.
HELP PLEASE!
Dave@ Hastings

SeanM
Tench

Re: Ambidex Match

Post by SeanM »

You need to remove the screw and collar that allow you convert it to right hand wind. Once you've done this the side plate will just lift off.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Sounds about right Sean! I've never known a crank jam in a side cover, though I suppose it could happen.....

The Match is identical inside to the Mark Nine, even though it is in the old 'slope back' body and I did a strip down of one on here somewhere......

yer tis:

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... dex+nine+9

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Thanks very much Sean & Nobby. I will give it another go later.
Dave@ Hastings

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Over the years dirt gets in under the collar and form,s a small ring around the main shaft, after taking the collar off spray a small amount of WD40 on the cross shaft to soften the dirt and carefully remove the side plate. The anti reverse lever should also be in a certain position, i think it,s the OFF position. Give it a try .

Update: Just found the info Put the Anti reverse lever in the OFF position.

Davejass
Rudd

Post by Davejass »

Thanks for that Ljm183.
Opened up and found it was not filled with grease but rather dry. Cleaned inside with lighter fuel and cotton bud then lightly oiled with ReelX. Seems better now. I will leave it alone now and see how it performs when filled with line and fishing!
Dave@ Hastings

Ignis2018
Stickleback

Post by Ignis2018 »

Can you help me locate a bail arm spring for my ambidex match reel, it was missing when I bought it. I don't even know what it should look like.anynoe got a spring or a picture to start with please help.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't know what is up with TFF at the moment...I posted a reply yesterday...try Garry Mills of the Mill Tackle Company, he makes new ones.

Ignis2018
Stickleback

Post by Ignis2018 »

Still have not got a spring yet but if I manage to find one how do you fit it ,is it put in under load or not. How is it fitted anyone help with a picture or schematic views. some one must know, or a chap that would service the reel for me.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Garry Mills rescued an Ambidex for me a few years ago. If I remember correctly, he advised oil but no grease on the inside.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”