Ambidex deluxe line capacity and recommendation

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mötti
Minnow

Ambidex deluxe line capacity and recommendation

Post by Mötti »

Dear all

here a picture from my Ambidex deluxe.
I received it back from Garry Mills not long ago. As I bought it last year, I was very happy how smoth it works, because I own a Amibdex MK 6 who doesn't. But there was something strange with the bail. I could not open it, when the spool was completle slided out. Now I know from Garry that one of the preowners has soldered the bail. He fixed it with another one.

I'd like to fish it with my Chapman "The Savoy" for perch and maybe trout. I think a 6lb line should work. But which one would you recommend and how much capacity has this reel? I would like to take one which is not hard and not to thin because I fear to damage rings and the cane blank. Is a Maxima Chameleon usable for spinning or does it have to much stretch? What do you think about?

Kind Regards
Mötti

Aitch
Pike

Re: Ambidex deluxe line capacity and recommendation

Post by Aitch »

There are many lines available...mono's will not affect the guides hardly at all, whereas braids are quite abrasive... Maxima will be fine, as will Daiwa Sensor... a personal recommendation is for Daiwa Hyper Sensor... it is a tough low diameter line and their 6lb is the same diameter as normal 4lb mono... it comes in 300mt spools, so you can fill the spool up to the lip, or use a cheap backing line and put on just 50 -100 mts to top up and have some spare...

Hope this helps... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have on occasion found Chameleon to snap without demonstrating much stretch. This can lead to the probably false suspicion that it is rotten or breaks below it's stated test. It was in fact, once marketed, as the "no stretch line" so I might not be imagining it......Nevertheless every tackle shop in the UK stocks it......and I don't think you can say that about any other line......

As such, I'd hesitate to chuck a heavy lure with it, but since you are likely to be using small lures and you suggest 6lb line you should be alright. A worm will of course attract both your targets too...so will a bloody bit of liver for that matter......

Capacity is going to depend on the diameter of your chosen line so it's no good going by the stated line capacity from the Sixties...whatever you buy will surely be thinner and you'll therefore need more.

The 3FP...an earlier type of de-luxe took 100 yards of 13lb line and 200 yards of 7lb line Youngs stated on a leaflet. The spool looks the same....it may or not be though.......not much help, I know.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

I'd buy a bulk spool of Daiwa Sensor (approx. 1000m). this will fill your spool nicely with plenty to spare for about 10 Euro.
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

SeanM wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:07 pm I'd buy a bulk spool of Daiwa Sensor (approx. 1000m). this will fill your spool nicely with plenty to spare for about 10 Euro.
Yup :Thumb:

Mötti
Minnow

Post by Mötti »

Dear all

Thank you for your recommendations.

Kind Regards
Mötti

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”