Allcocks centrepin the (swift)

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Barbel
Minnow

Allcocks centrepin the (swift)

Post by Barbel »

Hiya i ve just got hold of a centrepin of allcocks called the swift with the stag logo on it does anybody have any info on it i ve looked on google but cant find anything cheer s Eric

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Allcocks centrepin the (swift)

Post by Nobby »

This reel is mentioned, but not illustrated in the pre-war Allcock Guides I believe. It is basically a cheaper version of the Flick 'Em perfection, I think. When I say cheaper I don't mean poorer quality, just that less work was spent on it to keep the cost down. It isn't a true centrepin, more of a 'swimming ' reel....it's still a high quality reel and as rare as rocking horse droppings.

How rare?.......I've seen just one, illustrated not the real thing, on Steve Boncey's site. That's how rare they are!! Sadly, Steve has now updated his site and it's no longer on there.........

I did find an image though:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 5400199e21

At one time I thought these reels were post-War and posted that on here somewhere. At that time I hadn't yet acquired a pre-War Guide and Steve had mistakenly thought it was from the Fifties. Without the image to look at now I'm not even sure it was a Swift that Steve had worked his magic on..it might just as well have been a Perfection Flick Em with a lever operate check.....I'm pretty sure it was a true 'pin he had worked on.......

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Last edited by Olly on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barbel
Minnow

Post by Barbel »

Thanks nobby for the info

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Olly wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Allco ... kOmEKwBg8M:

Steve's is the first one - top left. Also called a Pattern 9 ???

http://vintagefishingtackle.net/EXAMPLE ... ORED-REELS

Nice find Olly! Well that's a centrepin for sure....so possibly wasn't a Swift anyway? It does appear as I remembered it....a lever action Flick Em without holes in the spool.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I had seen Steve's reel on his website. I also found one - somewhere - for sale or sold a short while ago - hence my interest!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Perfection Flick'em with a twist...
Unread post by Wallys-Cast » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:44 pm

By that's a nice looking reel Andrew :Hahaha: small world mate. :Thumb:

Here's another variation of the pattern 12 reel made by Youngs for your records Nobby. Its an unventilated version and engraved on the back, The "Fenland" marketed by H Clayton. 71 Main Ridge. Boston.
I have seen a few Fenland rods by this maker but this is the only reel I ever seen with his trade mark on it.

The winding handles are replacements which I rescued from multiplier handles. I had to shorten them, bore them out and turn them down a bit to fit inside the cusps, I think they look nice and they feel great in use. If you ever try turning or drilling these handles, use a slow speed as they are made of celluloid or something similar and the first one I tried burst into flames with the heat. :shocked:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An un-ventilated Flick'em type!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”