Not Cataloged?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Not Cataloged?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hovis wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:18 pm Looking at Bob Singletons book the reel looks like a 1914-1925 Model 7950 T2 4"dia narrow drum. I have never seen the drum rim drilled before, obviously to help locate and adjust the spokes but not really needed so a strange feature.
Not sure if it's the photo or not but the handles look like replacements in grey plastic.

Wal.
That's interesting wal. I've never seen a 7950 in the flesh and I've always wondered how they drill the spoke holes if both the inner and outer flanges were of the same dimensions. How is it done if you wanted to leave the outer rim intact.
I think they would just drill them out from the inside Darren, probably some kind of right angled drill.

Wal.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:05 pm
Hovis wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:18 pm Looking at Bob Singletons book the reel looks like a 1914-1925 Model 7950 T2 4"dia narrow drum. I have never seen the drum rim drilled before, obviously to help locate and adjust the spokes but not really needed so a strange feature.
Not sure if it's the photo or not but the handles look like replacements in grey plastic.

Wal.
That's interesting wal. I've never seen a 7950 in the flesh and I've always wondered how they drill the spoke holes if both the inner and outer flanges were of the same dimensions. How is it done if you wanted to leave the outer rim intact?
I think they would just drill them out from the inside Darren, probably some kind of right angled drill.

Wal.
How interesting. I've never seen such an attachment for internal drilling at 90 degrees to the face, although I can see it working. I wonder if the original was drilled all the way through for ease of production in a small workshop?
Last edited by Hovis on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated

JockScott
Minnow

Post by JockScott »

Hovis... you have good taste. I adore it too and it is an extremely rare Pin. It is certainly not a type 2 this reel would have been highly polished over 100 years ago and that early finish was on the type 1 and not the t2.. So is it a Type 1 ??? If it is, there are three differences to the one in the B.S. bible. Two differences have already been spotted. Early Aerials were not all clones and I am certain that development never stopped. Variations often pop up from time to time. Perhaps it is not and Allcock retailed reel. Perhaps it is an Albert Smith ! One thing is certain it was not made in China. LOL
I would love to hear more opinions...........

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I have to concur with Wal...I'm no Aerial expert but those features he mentions are surely spot-on.....the handles and the drilled rim.

And that casting boss to receive the spindle on the reel back is exactly Allcock shaped...this is from a '39 Aerial match

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Nobby wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 am
And that casting boss to receive the spindle on the reel back is exactly Allcock shaped...this is from a '39 Aerial match

..you might be seeing a few more of those in the not-too-distant future.. :Wink:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Watermole+ wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:02 pm
Nobby wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 am

..you might be seeing a few more of those in the not-too-distant future.. :Wink:
Hurry up, Sir! I'm on tenterhooks here.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

JockScott
Minnow

Post by JockScott »

Of all the Aerials, to tell the difference between the 7950 type 1 and 2 is simply the finish. The t1 was only ever produced in the highly lacquered finish and the T2 never was..... Engravings, handles and finish varied from reel to reel and era to era. It is the finish that correctly defines this reel. and with the rim perforations makes is extremely rare and one of the very earliest of T1's dating accurately to 1909/10.
To my mind the rim perforations were purely for ease of initial setting up and adjustment.... logical ? eh ?
There are many reels that were never catalogued and will always be a matter for discussion and debate....

By the way in 1909 were there drills that could go round corners..... All the information is there in the photos and B.S's book but dont just look at the photos.....

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

JockScott wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 am Of all the Aerials, to tell the difference between the 7950 type 1 and 2 is simply the finish. The t1 was only ever produced in the highly lacquered finish and the T2 never was..... Engravings, handles and finish varied from reel to reel and era to era. It is the finish that correctly defines this reel. and with the rim perforations makes is extremely rare and one of the very earliest of T1's dating accurately to 1909/10.
To my mind the rim perforations were purely for ease of initial setting up and adjustment.... logical ? eh ?
There are many reels that were never catalogued and will always be a matter for discussion and debate....

By the way in 1909 were there drills that could go round corners..... All the information is there in the photos and B.S's book but dont just look at the photos.....
I'm not certain when they were invented but I believe dentists and jewellers were using angled drilling machines in the 1800s. They were probably adapted from the same design.

Wal.

GhyllManor
Grayling

Post by GhyllManor »

Fascinating post, a real forum gem!
Ted

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”