Rapidex or Trudex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Re: Rapidex or Trudex

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm Trouble is, you can only get away with that once, although I probably couldn't get away with it all :fingertap:
My pins are all the same colour - "What this old thing dear... no I've had it ages!" :liar:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Shed_Monkey wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:09 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm Trouble is, you can only get away with that once, although I probably couldn't get away with it all :fingertap:
My pins are all the same colour - "What this old thing dear... no I've had it ages!" :liar:
Bad, bad boy :snooty:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Hi Richard,

I am not sure if you want to trot with the Rapidex or Trudex.

I have two Rapidexes, one which I have owned from new in 1958. I love it to bits, and use it / them an awful lot, but do not rate the Rapidex at all for trotting. I may be wrong but seem to remember reading information from Youngs a long time ago that the Rapidex, (and I assume the Trudex), was designed 'as a bottom fishing reel.' However I cannot fault it for close range float fishing on still waters.

Good luck, Old Angler

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Re: Rapidex or Trudexy

Post by Penninelad »

I use a Rapidex and Trudex and would agree that they are both fine reels.However a few months ago I purchased a well used Aerial Match with a home made line guard and have used it constantly since.In fact I prefer it to my Standard Aerial which I find a bit heavy and cumbersome. I think you can pick up a reasonable Aerial Match for about £100.If you are interested I know where there are one or two for sale so send me a PM.
Mark Davies

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

I have a Rapidex II and I can't fault it for trotting... it has a nice shallow arbour and if you don't load more than 50 mts of line on it it's perfect... it has the caged construction of the older reels too which would normally hamper the thumb braking slowing down of your tackle but it's perfectly do-able with care...
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Very good advice Harry.All my centre pins seem more effective when not overloaded with line.
Mark Davies

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Well gents the trudex has arrived ,its not in to bad a shape ,it spins well ,i just need to give it a clean because there is quiet abit of dust/grit in it and order a new boss , i spoke to the seller before purchasing this and he told me the boss was broken, i was going to respray this but i quiet like it with the old war wounds it has taken over the years
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”