Mark 9

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Mark 9

Post by NiceRoach »

My latest Ambidex is a lot different to earlier Marks and pre Marks.

A powerful reel easily capable of bigger fish even though I've not tested it on the bank yet

Don't suppose there was a reason to revert to the swan neck for the Mark 9?
more likely just because;

ImageImageImageImageImage

All in all a great reel. :Hat:
niceroach

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Mark 9

Post by Nobby »

Rupe tells me that Ted Young designed the swan-necked Delmatic to celebrate the merging of Allcock and Youngs, which was actually his idea ( a bl**dy bad one!)
He then used the new body shape for the Ambidex as well so they released a second version of the Mk 6 and also used the new shape for the Mk9. I'm not sure what happened to 8..a Sealey reel perhaps and the Mk7 was a cheapy using old parts that had previously been on the first version of the 6.

Are you still awake?

Your reel shares many new internal components with the Match Ambidex....which peculiarly used the old slope back body( maybe just to use them up), most notably new Delrin gears which were far smoother than the Tufnol originals ( but not as smooth as everyone else's brass gears) and a 'stroked crank' to give a larger throw to wind line onto that new wide arbour spool. To get the stroked crank into the reel body they had to lengthen the trough in the side cover and machine a notch out of the reel body. It was a huge stroke increase that saw the centre of the big end circulate outside of the diameter of the crank webs.

This of course, was the beginning of the end. Allcock - Young, almost immediately joined by Lee Products to form Top Tackle, were unceremoniously flogged off to the American Shakespeare by overall owner Leonard Matchan within two years.

NiceRoach
Eel

Re: Mark 9

Post by NiceRoach »

Thank you Nobby :Hat:

Feels like ole J W was getting the hang of reel making by this Mark 9

Best
niceroach

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”