Is this a rare reel?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Fredline
Tench

Is this a rare reel?

Post by Fredline »

I picked up this all original Allcocks Duco recently, not an uncommon reel but I have never seen one with a lever anti reverse. A traditional tear drop yes but not a lever. Rupe Attwoods excellent book about J W Youngs does not shed any "reel" light on this subject. He states that the first Allcocks Duco B has the vertical chrome anti reverse but this is not a Duco B. So is it A rare example or not? Over to you in TFFLand.ImageImageImage
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Is this a rare reel?

Post by Nobby »

My understanding is that the lever anti-reverse or 'rain inlet' as it surely became known as, was very short-lived. Add to that that this reel is a 'flexible pick up' and a Duco, I'd say it's rare....because I've never seen, or heard of, another.

Poor Galician is going to go spare.....:

viewtopic.php?t=22618

Notice how the patents list varies from this reel which must pre-date it surely?:....or maybe it doesn't??

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

I have an early Ambidex with the same anti reverse lever and patents list which I was told by Gary Mills is quite rare.

Image Image
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Rare or not, it's a handsome object. Very desirable

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

So far I've only actually seen one of the Ambidexes with that lever....maybe Mal's is a second....maybe it's the same one. But if we say it's another reel that still makes them pretty rare. Now the Allcocks Duco surely must be rarer still?

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Very nice and lovely condition for such a old reel :fish: mike

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Well done John, another great find, you do have the knack of acquiring some unusual and rare items. Some might say lucky, but I think you make your own luck! :Hat:

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”