Ambidex maintenance /Lubrication assistance please

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Keston
Tench

Ambidex maintenance /Lubrication assistance please

Post by Keston »

I have tried searching but can't seem to find out how best to care for an early ambidex . I've never used one before and being a buffoon and advice would be appreciated.
John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: Ambidex maintenance /Lubrication assistance please

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi John,
here's how J W Youngs would have you do it. Hope this helps but if you get stuck send the reel up and I'll sort it for you.

ImageImage

For a larger view, right click on the image and select open link in new window.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm Hi John,
here's how J W Youngs would have you do it. Hope this helps but if you get stuck send the reel up and I'll sort it for you.

ImageImage

For a larger view, right click on the image and select open link in new window.

Wal.
Hi Wal
That's Brilliant thank you :Hat: Just the sort of thingvI was looking for .
May I ask a daft question ? Forgive my lack of the proper terminology but where the lubrication point for 8 is if we look behind we see a cylinder that rotates off the central axis . It touches the brass L shape at the top and a brass spring at the bottom and they both connect as it rotates ? Yet these areas are not in need of being lubricated ?
Many thanks
John

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The cylinder is a cam that gives the oscillation to the spool and the spring is simply to keep the L shaped lever touching it. If you slacken the tension on this spring by closing it up slightly, you will find the reel winds much more smoothly.
The booklet states to use no grease just light oil and it is amazing what a difference it makes. I often find reels full of grease and once cleaned out and lightly oiled they run so much better.

Wal.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 pm The cylinder is a cam that gives the oscillation to the spool and the spring is simply to keep the L shaped lever touching it. If you slacken the tension on this spring by closing it up slightly, you will find the reel winds much more smoothly.
The booklet states to use no grease just light oil and it is amazing what a difference it makes. I often find reels full of grease and once cleaned out and lightly oiled they run so much better.

Wal.
Thank you Wal . Great information and I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom :Hat:
John

Edit to add ; all done and running sweetly . I tried Nobbys extra virgin pin oil on it and it seems ideal . Added bonus the spout on the green larger bottle is the perfect size for getting in the tight areas like the oil port .

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”