Aerial reels

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Roachy
Bleak

Aerial reels

Post by Roachy »

I have noticed when I have put pictures up of Aerial reels that I have acquired that the members put a number to them.......i.e......T6 T10.Where do you find these from? I have a few books but have not come across this before.

Thanks gents.
Fishing is complete and utter madness.

Luga00
Brown Trout

Re: Aerial reels

Post by Luga00 »

The numbers relate to models of Allcock Aerial reels. You can find all the model numbers in Bob Singletons book but there may be a history page online somewhere that I'm not aware of.
Russ

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Roachy wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 pm I have noticed when I have put pictures up of Aerial reels that I have acquired that the members put a number to them.......i.e......T6 T10.Where do you find these from? I have a few books but have not come across this before.

Thanks gents.
You raise a good point Sir, maybe one of our more knowledgeable members could enlighten us more , a brief history along with model numbers, I personally would find very interesting. :Hat:

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Post by Chubman »

take a look at rosewood to revolution, a bit pricey, but all the information you need on aerial reels

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Chubman wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm take a look at rosewood to revolution, a bit pricey, but all the information you need on aerial reels
Cheers Geoff :Hat:

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
I think you will find that the "T" numbers were invented by Bob Singleton for his book to enable him to distinguish between variations of the same Allcock reel number (i.e. 7950 type1, type2 etc). Especially when the reel was made over many years and changed substantially.
Pre-war Allcock catalogues invariably use the 4 figure "stock number" to identify the reels and these numbers are also quoted in Bobs book.

Regards,
Dok

Andy Thomas
Stickleback

Post by Andy Thomas »

I have a wide drum aerial which I never use because it is set up for left hookers. How easy is it to reverse the pawl?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That depends upon which check it has, there are three styles, I think. The simplest answer would to telephone Garry Mills, or speak to him at the Romsey tackle Fair on Sunday.

The caliper check version can simply have the spring re-fitted to bias the spring action to the other side, but the lever check and offset button need a new pawl making I believe, but do ask Garry. Since the pawl is riveted in place it is not a job for the unqualified...i.e: me. Whereas Garry can probably do it in his sleep......

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”