Large centrepin case/pouch??

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
SlimJim
Ruffe

Large centrepin case/pouch??

Post by SlimJim »

Hi All,

I have a J W Young 5.5" Trudex, which I love using for carp & pike. Do any of you know if anybody is, or has ever, made a decent quality (preferably leather) centrepin case/pouch which would accommodate such a beast of a reel?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Jim

PS: No need to repeat the old debate about these reels being a bit of an 'acquired taste' - I wouldn't choose it for trotting, but it is fantastic for margin carp and pike fishing.

Tomeland
Ruffe

Re: Large centrepin case/pouch??

Post by Tomeland »

Do you have a wife with a sewing machine? Get her to buy some canvas or jeans material (which stretches). Cut a circle 6" in dia. Cut a rectangle 10" wide and a bit longer then the circumference of the circle. Sew the ends of the rectangle together and then sew to the circular piece. You should end up with a bag shape with seams outside. Turn over the open top and sew a hem. Repeat so that you end up with two bags. Turn one inside out so that its seams are inside. Put the bag with seams outside into the other so that you have a double layered bag with seams hidden. Sew around the top joining bags together using a strong lockstitch.
Now go down about 2" from the top and sew all around stitching the bags together again. Repeat this about 3/4" from the first row. Cut a hole in the outer layer (not all the way through) between the two rows of stitching... and another 2" along... then do the same on the opposite side. Get some cord or shoelace and go into one hole, around the bag and out through the hole beside it. Then do the same with the two holes on the opposite side. tie the ends of the cord together and you will have a double pull drawstring bag.
Easy and quick to make. Can make any size to fit any reel.
Can also put the bag over the reel if travelling with rod set-up and tie cords together on other side of rod handle.
I saw this kind of bag sewing instructions on the net somewhere.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

There's a good man on this forum who is a leather expert ,I've forgotten his name,but Mark will know as he made the key fobs and many other items.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Robbi, made me two for my trudex and rapidex. Lovely quality, might be worth a try.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

If you dint mind cheap and cheerfull try one of these..one for my Gypsy D'Or, one for my Rapidex..

They are both CD/DVD cases with the inside sleeves removed..only a couple of quid each .

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Just seen some advertised on the best known internet selling site.Proper kip leather and fleece lined.You can have them made with your initials or your full name embossed.I have lost the link but I was searching under the name Allcocks and it was towards the end of the entries.Depending on what you required they were priced between £26 & £36.
Mark Davies

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Dear All,

Thanks very much for your replies - and very sorry for the 'satellite delay' in replying!!

I do indeed have a wife with a sewing machine....I also have a wife who sadly doesn't share any interest whatsoever in anything to do with fishing, in fact it's verging on be an active hatred....!! I know, feel my pain!!

I love those CD/DVD pouches - smart idea! I sometimes use an empty plastic CD case to store a single slice of white bread with the crust removed when I'm fishing punch (a cunning little trick which keeps the bread nice and fresh while giving a quick and easy firm surface to cut the punch against).

I'll have a search for the custom made pouches as suggested, I thought I'd exhausted all those options as I hadn't found anything large enough, but hopefully this could be what I have been looking for.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for sharing your collective knowledge.

Good luck.

Jim

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Hi,
You might look around for an old leather collar box, maybe at a boot or antique fair, or even on eBay. These are usually well made with good quality materials and a little dubbin on the leather and some foam cut to size to pad the interior might do the trick.
(Check the size first before you buy)!

Regards Tom. 🎣

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

For about £10 I purchased from eBay 10 cotton drawstring bags to take 4" reels, fly or centrepins.

Larger ones are available for both C/Ps and other reels.

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

I've got a couple at home that I don't use if you're willing to wait until I get back from France in early June (maybe somewhat sooner if Madame Le P wins next week). I've also got a 5.5" reel only this is a Harry Reynolds one and I have to disagree, I find it ideal for trotting. Auction houses can be a good source of useful boxes (e.g. for stiff collars) and bags.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”