Large centrepin case/pouch??

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
The Bishop
Perch

Re: Large centrepin case/pouch??

Post by The Bishop »

Delaminated wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:35 pm Hi,
You might look around for an old leather collar box, maybe at a boot or antique fair, or even on eBay. These are usually well made with good quality materials and a little dubbin on the leather and some foam cut to size to pad the interior might do the trick.
(Check the size first before you buy)!

Regards Tom. 🎣
I have one of these if you would like it,7 and 1/4 inches internal diameter

Best Fishes
Roger
Tight Lines

The Bishop

The Gods do not take from a life,the time one spends in fishing.

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Hi All

Thanks for the continued replies - and for the very generous offer from 'Stathamender' (AKA Iain I presume), thank you, that's a very kind offer, but I'd hate to be a total scrounger so I won't be robbing you of your case - unless you're desperate to get rid of it of course!!?

I'm a shocker for dipping in and out of this forum, so please don't be offended that I didn't reply sooner.

In the end I contacted a company which sell some nice 'distressed leather' reel cases on eBay. I asked if they would make me a one-off larger version, and am now awaiting its arrival. I'll post a quick review and link to the company when it has been delivered, if I think its worthy.

With regard to your 5.5" Reynolds, I'm sure that reel is a fantastic tool for trotting, but my big Trudex is a real 'lump' - very heavy, and unless you're using a huge float in a decent current it is very hard going indeed. In contrast I expect your Reynolds spins easily, and of course the larger diameter means a quicker retrieve which is a bonus on a long trot...I use a modern Kingpin R2 for that type of situation.

Thanks again, and good luck.

Jim

PS: We're off to France ourselves later this summer for our annual west coast surfing trip....can't wait!

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Hi Roger,

Just spotted your kind offer too - thank you. This forum is incredible you know - such a friendly place. As I said above, I've ordered a bespoke one and am waiting for it to arrive, so hopefully my quest is over, and you never know, it might help some of you chaps out in the future if it turns out to be up to standard.

Thanks again for your generous offer of the collar box.

Best fishes to you too,

Jim

Riparian
Bleak

Post by Riparian »

SlimJim wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:37 pm

I love those CD/DVD pouches - smart idea! I sometimes use an empty plastic CD case to store a single slice of white bread with the crust removed when I'm fishing punch (a cunning little trick which keeps the bread nice and fresh while giving a quick and easy firm surface to cut the punch against).

I'm just rediscovering the art of fishing the bread punch on the lower Great Ouse, and I'm already surprised by the results with roach. But I've just written to say that's a really neat idea with the plastic CD case! Thanks.
"It is the most delicious form of idling known to me."

SlimJim
Ruffe

Post by SlimJim »

Hi 'Riparian',

Please excuse the monstrous delay in responding to your comment about the cd case - my dabbling in the forum world is a bit like my barbel fishing - long gaps with short bursts of intense obsession!

I'm really pleased you found the cd-case trick helpful with your bread punch, it really does keep the slice of bread fresh, and speeds up the punching process a bit too. I hope you've been having some success - punch fished with liquidised bread is such a great method.

Taking it one step further, I've recently taken to preparing 'mega-punch' using a 6" length of copper plumbing pipe and punching out two or three slices of bread before going fishing. I simply punch away until the pipe is nearly full, and then push the disks of bread out of the pipe using a short length of dowel. Then I stick them in my maggot bib in a small plastic bag, the disks are the perfect size for a size 10 hook, and perfect for quickly mounting on the hook without any faff. Give it a go next time you go trotting for chub or roach!

Tight lines, and good luck.

Jim

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”