Stiff Ambidex

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Stiff Ambidex

Post by Moley »

Most Ambidex reels were well made, and tested at the factory. Sadly they were not always well treated over the years and consequently suffer from a variety of problems, especially ham fisted, but well intentioned fettlers who can't seem to put them back correctly or forget bits.

The commonest problem encountered by Fatty, apart from pie scoffing and tea slurping going all over the place whilst reel fiddling, is solid grease.

WD40 and hot water liberally applied to the internal workings alleviate some of this gunk but nothing beats scraping the horrid stuff out with a small screwdriver and bog roll, to wipe it on etc.

This takes time, however with care solves most problems.

Should you need to strip the entire contents of the reel, do so on a tray and attempt to put the bits in the order of extraction.....if you don't tears will follow, as night follows day.

If a major problem is encountered and the further purchase of a spare is needed this is where Ambidexitus sets in, as very often the spare reel is too good to cannibalise so what do you do?

Yep, buy another spare for the spare ad infinitum......it is not long before the downward spiral of complete Ambidex Affliction sets in and you end up with in excess of forty of the blighters and a steadily debilitating nervous twitch :Wink:

Remember this and take note. :Chuckle:

As an aside Fatty knew Nobby before he got involved with fettling these reels.......let's just say the strait jacket suits him now and leave it at that :Hat:

As ever,.........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Some info taken from an Ambidex instruction booklet

DON'T use grease

Use very light oil at these points

And don't forget the oil port on the main shaft.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Everytime I've gotten a 'stiffy' I take the side plate off, and have seen all sorts.

Packed with grease 'stiffies' and barren dry as a bone 'stiffies' that have never seen grease or oil.

Run fine sewing machine oil through them till it seeps out through the seals open up again, give it a clean
and you're good to go with a free runner.

If problem persists take advice from an expert who'll tell you from the very start that these reels are not
like a Mitchell in nearly every conceivable way.

:tea:
niceroach

Bobby Marlene
Arctic Char

Post by Bobby Marlene »

I had the same issue and never got it 100% smooth. I think it´s gear alignment but you can only align within certain clearance. See also this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=407&t=20054
Best, Bobby

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Moley's not wrong...these reels can drive you to madness.....
One other issue I have come across with these reels is the pin that might be called the 'small end'...the left-hand end part of the curved 'con-rod'. This pin has a round fixed spacer near the middle, but not actually AT the middle, that means it only goes in one way.
A lot of owners have put it in the wrong way and then finding the reel binding when the two side cover screws are tightened up...have left them loose!

From memory, or what remains of it anyway, it's the later slope-backed reels and swan-necked ones that have this issue....not the early humpbacks.

SeanM
Tench

Post by SeanM »

Moley wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:39 am
As an aside Fatty knew Nobby before he got involved with fettling these reels.......let's just say the strait jacket suits him now and leave it at that :Hat:

As ever,.........

Moley
The strait jacket complements the wild curly hair perfectly!
Quot homines, tot sententiae.

Paul_V
Bleak

Post by Paul_V »

Thanks Nobby, Moley and all...

You have restored my enthusiasm to get myself some youngs ambidex reels.

Seems cleaning, oiling and a little fettling will sort most of their issues.

Im quite happy to buy reels that need a little work or in need of a paint job etc. Don't mind ending up with a few for spares. Looking to get nice but not "New boxed" stuff anyhow. Want them nice enough to be proud of em.... but want to use them. Otherwise what's the point of getting them eh!

P

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”