The Felton Crosswind

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

The Felton Crosswind

Post by Gary Bills »

Does anyone use a Felton Crosswind? I bought one on ebay about six months ago, purely out of curiousity, and I expected something archaic and horrendous...However, the gearing seemed strong and the oscillating business at the spool and flyer end, for better line lay, was not too outlandish. The bail arm seemed strong, and was not grooved. Still, I could not bring myself to actually use the reel, and I sold it on. A pity, perhaps, because it was Walker's reel of choice before the Mitchell and Ingham stuck with his for years. My overall impression was of a strong, well-made but eccentric piece of kit.

Snape
Bailiff

Re: The Felton Crosswind

Post by Snape »

I was just about the put up the same post!
I had one about 8 years ago and used it quite a bit. It is a reasonably good reel which is just a bit quirky. Like you I sold it on ebay after a year or so.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I want one!
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Maurice Ingham's Felton Crosswind, courtesy of Mike Wilson......

You can see this reel being used by maurice in this picture that Snape posted in another thread.....

SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

This one looks to have the body of an Ambidex....very odd........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-vintag ... 2a17e611bf
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

There are several versions of the Crosswind, I guess those were made by Youngs, then?

GloucesterOldSpot

Post by GloucesterOldSpot »

Nobby wrote:There are several versions of the Crosswind, I guess those were made by Youngs, then?
Youngs made most, if not all of the later Allcocks reels. The post-war FC is clearly built around an Ambidex body.

JohnClyde
Perch

Post by JohnClyde »

Article about it from the 1955 Allcocks catalogue:

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

Of interest to somebody..?

Amongst my box of various odd spares for J.W.Youngs fixed-spool reels, there are a number of miscellaneous parts from a Felton Crosswind, including a black body and parts for the oscillating flyer.

I am not sure from which exact model they originated and would stress that it is extremely doubtful as to whether there is enough to make a complete reel, but...if anyone out there is a fan of this reel and could make good use of them, please get in touch as they are of no further use to me and just taking up space in my already overcrowded garage/workshop.
All I am asking is that you reimburse the postage and packing, or if you're feeling generous, buy a Forum raffle ticket!

I know that this isn't really the right place to advertise this but while we're on the subject, I also have a complete, but requiring attention, "Bowell Autoreel", early fixed-spool, which might make a good restoration project for someone.. It's supposed to be a rare bird, but that is a matter for conjecture..

with regards,

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”