anyone have a clean Ambidex match?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Re: anyone have a clean Ambidex match?

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby did you say something about the Ambidex can sometimes be hard to wind forward but they wind ok backwards ?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Yes, sometimes they wind far better in one direction than the other. I think it's caused by the mis-alignment of the fibre main gear on the crankshaft and the spiral brass gear that drives the rotor around.

Playing about with shims either side of the crankshaft can fix it sometimes, if there is room for them. Youngs used thin Perspex shims that are so easily lost, being practically invisible, but Mitchell shims fit too and are still available, Part Number 81024, which come in three thicknesses. If one had a reel that didn't have room to play around with shims it is just possible to make room for some with a little filing.

I also think that just sometimes, some oils cause the fibre gear to swell and this makes the reel stiffen-up when not in use.

It ain't cheap, but Reel X 'Soft' grease definitely doesn't cause this problem, forum member BeechmereLake brought some over from Europe and sells it at cost.

old posts here:
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... im#p222078

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... bidex+shim

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:Yes, sometimes they wind far better in one direction than the other. I think it's caused by the mis-alignment of the fibre main gear on the crankshaft and the spiral brass gear that drives the rotor around.

Playing about with shims either side of the crankshaft can fix it sometimes, if there is room for them. Youngs used thin Perspex shims that are so easily lost, being practically invisible, but Mitchell shims fit too and are still available, Part Number 81024, which come in three thicknesses. If one had a reel that didn't have room to play around with shims it is just possible to make room for some with a little filing.

I also think that just sometimes, some oils cause the fibre gear to swell and this makes the reel stiffen-up when not in use.

It ain't cheap, but Reel X 'Soft' grease definitely doesn't cause this problem, forum member BeechmereLake brought some over from Europe and sells it at cost.

old posts here:
http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... im#p222078

http://traditionalfisherman.com/viewtop ... bidex+shim

A while back i bought a No2 model and the reel would not turn in a forward direction but was nice and free when turning backwards, The reel had been stripped and painted by the previous owner, using a spay can of gold paint, as well as the reel itself they painted the bearing under the main shaft/rotor. I stripped the reel and removed all the old paint and repainted it myself, put it all back together and it work,s perfect now.

Here,s a photo of the finished reel

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

That looks pretty good.
I've never been able to successfully spray-paint something that small and intricate.....I always end up with over-spray spoiling the better bits .... and there's precious few of them :oops:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Nobby wrote:That looks pretty good.
I've never been able to successfully spray-paint something that small and intricate.....I always end up with over-spray spoiling the better bits .... and there's precious few of them :oops:
The reel,s stripped completely, Right down to the last screw,washer,bolt,rivet and circlip, the body part,s are then resprayed, the reel is then rebuilt ready for use.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Looks lovely does that, Lee!
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Ignis2018
Stickleback

Post by Ignis2018 »

Anyone know where I can get a bail spring from, I don't even know what it looks like cos it was taken out of reel ,lesson learnt did not try reel just blind bought it.match bail spring.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Garry Mills of the Mill Tackle Co. makes new ones! Often on his website, but not currently...phone, don't e-mail..... ;-)

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”