issues with a Ambidex No3 casting reel

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Peacock Quill
Stickleback

issues with a Ambidex No3 casting reel

Post by Peacock Quill »

My heart is really into Mitchell reels but i wanted to broaden my horizons so purchased a Ambidex No 3 casting reel for from a well known bidding site. Its a user reel and has a bit of paint loss but it has a further issue..... I can't seem to get the spool off, the clutch does not seem to work as to let line slip off the reel even if I loosen the front drag knob right off, is there something I'm doing wrong? .... Or is it an easy fix? I have serviced a few Mitchell reels in my time but I'm certainly no expert.
Can someone out there point me in the right direction?
I can, I suppose send it back but i got quite attached to the little fellow already!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: issues with a Ambidex No3 casting reel

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi PQ,
They can get a bit stubborn to remove but its probably just stuck with old oil and age and usually a bit of heat from a hot air gun on the spool will allow it to be pulled free.
By the way, I am not sure about your reel but on later reels the spool only turns in one direction unlike the Mitchell spools as there is a spring loaded pawl on the underside locking its rotation one way.
Hope this helps.
Wal.

Peacock Quill
Stickleback

Re: issues with a Ambidex No3 casting reel

Post by Peacock Quill »

Thanks for the advice Wallys-Cast.
Between Gary Mills from The Mill Tackle Company and yourself the reel is working perfectly and purring like a kitten!
I must say that the information on this site is top notch and everyone seems really helpful.
I dare say some more Ambidex reels will be added to my collection, I'm now starting to look for a nice cane float rod for the summer Crucian sessions.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”