Youngs leather reel pouches.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Youngs leather reel pouches.

Post by Delaminated »

I have a number of the small leather reel pouches made for Youngs reels, dating from the fiftie and sixties. I find them very handy as they are just big enough to hold an Ambidex that has a folding handle and a spare spool.
My problem is that the inner yellow lining has a volatile finish that in warm conditions sticks firmly to the reel, and if left will lift the paint off down to bare metal.
Has anyone a solution to this before I hack off the offending lining, to save the finish on my precious reels.

Regards Tom.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Youngs leather reel pouches.

Post by Harry H »

:idea: Never tried it but you might find putting talcum powder on the inside may stop the sticking. Perhaps I should add not to leave excess loose powder in the bag to get into places it's not required.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tomeland
Ruffe

Re: Youngs leather reel pouches.

Post by Tomeland »

I had one the same and I use a spray bottle of 50/50 water and white vinegar for all my household cleaning jobs now so i tried spraying inside the case and left it turned inside out to dry. Seems to have cured the problem.
Best not to store reels inside but just when travelling.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”