Flickem off Ebay, Help?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Flickem off Ebay, Help?

Post by Woodytia »

Won this reel at the weekend, it arrived today. It needs a good clean, there is a slight wobble but I've seen worse. The main thing I've noticed is that the drag adjustment won't quite hold when I turn the knurled disc, it keeps springing back. I've noticed a screw head on the spool, is this for adjustment or removal? The spokes seem ok but if they are slightly out is that the cause of the wobble?
Any help with regard to cleaning and these issues would be much appreciated.

Match Aerial
Arctic Char

Re: Flickem off Ebay, Help?

Post by Match Aerial »

Nice little reel, hopefully someone will be along to help?

Chavender
Eel

Post by Chavender »

the inner screw will be for removal ,sounds like its stripped the adjusters inner threads ,the adjuster knob runs on a threaded bar (who's head your seeing in the drum ) the spring pushes the slide & its tooth into the groove in the centre part of the spindle (making it a true centrepin) .if it is stripted threads then you have two choices ,get a new one (or a salvaged one) or just slacken it right off and forget about it (they're not that useful anyway even when working) .

cleaning wise a stiff cheap tooth brush or brass brush & soap and water (if persistent then soak in lemon joice & use finest wire wool to clean worst affected areas ) then a dose of autosol polish.

the set of brushes are available off e-bay for a couple of quid ,theres a stiff plastic/nylon ,ones brass the other is steel wire (save this for other jobs)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3Pc-Small-Han ... 380wt_1067

or pound shops .
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! Steve

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Might it be that the 'shoe' which bears against the centrepin to brake its spinning is stuck in its hole?

They often do stick from lack of use ....perhaps that's why the 'wheel in the hole' is returning.

To free it off, remove the spool and soak the hole through the centre with petrol, white spirit, plus-gas, with the shoe at the lowermost point so it is immersed in the cleaner and leave it a few hours. Then later you can find some device.....a long thin one I guess...to bear against the shoe and encourage it back into its hole.

The one weakness of this brake design ( Garry Miils tells me it should be called a compensating drag )...is that there is nothing pulling the shoe away from the centrepin...just centrifugal force when the spool is spinning.

Only once, in a dozen different reels, have I found that screw on the arbour face willing to turn.....at least 75 years of bi-metallic corrosion on the threads I guess......

Woodytia
Crucian Carp

Post by Woodytia »

Thanks for the comprehensive replies, given the age of some of these reels I suppose it is surprising that they work at all. I'll let you know how I get on.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”