Milbro Catalogue 1964

This forum is for discussing Other Anglers Guides and Catalogues.
Deaf Cat
Grayling

Milbro Catalogue 1964

Post by Deaf Cat »

Millard Brothers Ltd., Carfin Industrial Estate, Motherwell, Scotland
and 467, Caledonian Road, London N7

Treasures on offer include:

Rods: Solid and hollow glassfibre with the exception of the “Milbro Combination” (Spanish reed); the “Milbro Magic” (Japanese reed), and “Apollo” tubular steel rods.

Reels: Mitchell
C.A.P. 304 & 305 (Mitchell quality at a low price)
C.A.P. de Luxe 314 & 315 (Luxury on a budget)
Standard 300 & 301 (The biggest seller of them all)
Rapid 350 & 351 (High speed version of the Mitchell Standard with a 5 to 1 gear ratio)
Intermediate 306 & 307 (Ideal for the big’uns)
Mer 302 & 303 (For salt water fishing)
Otomatic 330; (A flick and hey presto)
Prince 308 & 309 (The match angler’s favourite)
Dauphin 316 & 317 (Mitchell’s latest for salmon & sea)

(The even numbered models are left hand wind, the odd numbered are right hand. I can't believe I didn't know that!)

Plus
Abu 505 & 444; Ambassadeur 5000 & 6000; Ocean City and Penn multipliers.
Complete fishing outfits; Maxima Perlon;Gladding fly lines; Amann braided nylon; Abu, Mitchell and Stucki spoons & spinners; hooks to Mitchell nylon; and finally celluloid, quill and cork floats. The celluloid floats look remarkably similar to Allcocks and the cork floats (below) remarkably similar to Harcorks.

Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Re: Milbro Catalogue 1964

Post by Vole »

So; that's where all (or some of) those nameless Harcork clones came from!
I wonder if, a bit like J.W. Young's reels, just one factory was turning them out and flogging some on to other wholesalers to re-sell? That might have accounted for the unaffordability of them... two bob in 1964; in 1970 I paid less than that for a pint of beer in a pub - that'd be about £3-4 quid per float now! (That's not strictly like-for-like; it was in Wells, in a pub next to the Cathedral, on the Schools R.I. pub-crawl ... could we help it if there was a pub next door to every cathedral in the South-West? ... and I remember it being pleasantly cheaper than London)(P.S. It was a sixth-form jolly and I was 18... mustn't give the wrong idea).

No wonder I'd taken up float-making as soon as I could!

And those "continentals"; I wonder if they were shipped in from France, 'cos I'm pretty sure I saw a few , googling about after that "Flotteurs Anciens" thread.

I'm beginning to go off Milbro! Are there any rod prices in there to compare with the floats?
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Well as I said it is mainly glass.
This page shows the expensive tubular glass match rods £8 to £14

and this is the Mitchell 300 page £6.19.6
Last edited by Deaf Cat on Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

Thanks! That works out at about 100 floats for a rod, which would still be about right for a high-middle range rod, I guess.
Fascinating stuff, Deaf Cat; many thanks for posting.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Other Anglers Guides And Catalogues”