Another New Member

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Gateleaner
Ruffe

Another New Member

Post by Gateleaner »

Took some time out to have a look at the site. What a lovely place.
I know one or two members including Snape, St J and SK. All three of which are mending their way as I write to Mr Ball's.
An all embracing site too. For example St John might be able to Wallis Cast a BB 200 yards and helps Les and I out with Redmire, but his hair is below collar length and he plays guitar in rock band.

Also shock horror I tend to use Glass more than cane. These are mostly rods I built as a teenager in the 70's and I still love using them. My favourite cane is though a Clifford Constable 'Superb' number 666 which armed with a Speedia has tamed many a Wye and Teme Barbel. Sill waiting for that elusive Double though. I did however find myself in a state of egotistic euphoria earlier in the week fishing on the Wye when I landed my first ever twenty pound Pike at 21lb on a North Western SS6 rod that I built when I was 17 and used to use on the Somerset levels when a 20 was stuff of dreams.

Anyway I'm rambling. Also recovering from too much Shiraz last night.

Well done to those responsible for this site.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Another New Member

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Gateleaner.

Thank you for the kind comments about the forum, I hope you enjoy your time here, please feel free to ramble as much as you like.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Gateleaner wrote:Took some time out to have a look at the site. What a lovely place.
I know one or two members including Snape, St J and SK. All three of which are mending their way as I write to Mr Ball's.
An all embracing site too. For example St John might be able to Wallis Cast a BB 200 yards and helps Les and I out with Redmire, but his hair is below collar length and he plays guitar in rock band.

Also shock horror I tend to use Glass more than cane. These are mostly rods I built as a teenager in the 70's and I still love using them. My favourite cane is though a Clifford Constable 'Superb' number 666 which armed with a Speedia has tamed many a Wye and Teme Barbel. Sill waiting for that elusive Double though. I did however find myself in a state of egotistic euphoria earlier in the week fishing on the Wye when I landed my first ever twenty pound Pike at 21lb on a North Western SS6 rod that I built when I was 17 and used to use on the Somerset levels when a 20 was stuff of dreams.

Anyway I'm rambling. Also recovering from too much Shiraz last night.

Well done to those responsible for this site.
Hearty congratulations on the capture of a wonderful pike! A friend of mine swore by his SS6 rods for both carp and pike; - his were blue glass, as I recall: one of the great carp rods of the 1970s.. He was still mad-keen on them in 1995.

As a fellow forum member, may I welcome you to the site.
PS - Australian shiraz? Lovely stuff!

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Welcome. A 20lb pike is a lovely fish, especially when taken on vintage tackle. Any more reports would be most welcome over the winter months, they help keep the interest up.
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

Hello fellow herefordian farliesbirthday. Do you fish the Wye?
What a sociable bunch you are. Makes that sinking Sunday evening feeling go away.
Incidently the Shiraz effect has worn off. Although I just noticed another bottle winking at me. Maybe just .......

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Gateleaner wrote: I landed my first ever twenty pound Pike at 21lb on a North Western SS6 rod that I built when I was 17 and used to use on the Somerset levels when a 20 was stuff of dreams.
Welcome and thanks for the brought back memories.The SS6 was my favourite rod to use at Cheddar res and landed my best fish from there of 19 and a half pounds.Its little brother the SS4 was a superb rod for close in fishing for Pike and Carp. :thumb: .

Gateleaner
Ruffe

Post by Gateleaner »

I have a brace of SS5's which I always take to Redmire. The first ones I built, with the eye whippings finished with a granny knot!
I wonder what happened to all those blanks that North Western didn't sell when carbon came in. Probably gathering dust somewhere.

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Welcome to our little hiding place sir, so glad you could join us!!! :hat:

And a massive well done on a wonderful pike. Looking forward to your input. :thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome Gateleaner :wink: :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Big welcome gateleaner. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”