A little odd......

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Churchyard Yew

A little odd......

Post by Churchyard Yew »

Maybe someone joining this forum who no longer fishes is a little odd, however, let me explain......
I first went fishing as a six year old in the late 1960's. And yes, it was a small Perch that captured my imagination and infected my blood with a virus we call fishing. Later, with the help of Mr Crabtree and Peter, I became more adventurous. The pond at Belper and the Derbyshire Derwent, wending its merry way through the valley, held up at Belper by Mr Strutt's horseshoe weir, became my second home. I would work my way through Bernard Venable's glorious book, soak up the wonderful illustrations, and, very occasionally, caught the fish I was pursuing. Perch, Pike, Roach and Tench all came to the net, Gudgeon in abundance fell to maggots on a 16 suspended beneath a Porcupine Quill float during hot summer afternoons. No cares and no worries apart from making to the Chip Shop before closing time. Innocence in abundance.
Later still came Walker, I guess 1975 would have been the year that I started to take more notice of Richard's column in the Angling Times. "Stillwater Angling" a copy of "No Need to Lie" borrowed from the library (Reg Cooke's illustrations...magic) fired my imagination further. Sunday morning paper rounds and odd jobs eventually paid for a Bruce & Walker Glass MK IV Avon and a Mitchell 300 from Walkers of Trowell. Chub, Carp and Perch were my chosen quarry at that time. The Derwent held some exceptional Perch, 2 pounders not at all uncommon taken on floatfished Minnow.
In the summer of 1979, after writing copious letters to Mr Walker, I got on a train at Derby, disembarked at Bedford and caught a bus to Biggleswade. Ivel Gardens was my destination....trembling I knocked on the door.....heard someone cough and saw some movement through the frosted glass of the door. It opened...and there stood the great man. I fished all afternoon with Dick at the bottom of his garden using a borrowed rod and reel. We regularly corresponded with each other until shortly before his death.
It was the articles that appeared in Angling magazine by Chris Yates that made me choose the road less traveled and develop a love of collecting and using traditional tackle. Yes, I among many others, probably including you dear reader, copied, unashamedly, Mr C "Ferneyhough" Yates. I loved the eccentricity of it all, the Golden Scale Club, the nicknames, everything. It fitted with how I was at the time but not now. A different chapter towards the start of my book if you will. We move on as we age.
This was a time of the superb NASA conferences. Reading and Loughborough Universities were the usual venues for these weekends of rubbing shoulders with angling legends. Peter Stone, Len Arbery, Pete Springate, Chris Yates, Bob Buteux, Peter Drennan, John Bailey, Rod Hutchinson.......many many more. I wish I had kept the photographs, still, the memories remain of the evenings in the bar with these guys.
1981, Hampshire Avon at Bisterne. Only open to coarse anglers, at that time, during September. And there was I, triumphant having just returned my first double figure Barbel. The sun dipping over the horizon, the sweet smell of the river and.......on the opposite bank.....a familiar figure approaches. Chris Yates had just started to fish for Barbel seriously at this time and had chosen a swim slightly downstream to where I was fishing. Upstream on my bank there was a punt on a chain (soap on a rope, punt on a chain). Of course I hauled myself over and spent a couple of unforgettable hours in his company. I realized at the time that I had now shaken hands with two record Carp holders.
The years passed, still fishing, using cane and centrepins. I got married (25yrs this time) and have been blessed with two wonderful daughters. As a new Dad, the fishing took a back seat. However, one experience I fondly remember. As a collector and fan of "BB" I decided to go to Thrapston, to the Round House, and visit him. My eldest daughter would have been three or four months old at the time (24 years ago). He held her in his arms and said, "about the weight of a nice Carp". He signed my book collection, we had a cup of tea in his garden, and then left. Another great memory for me.
A combination of things made me give up fishing. Perhaps it was the rise in the popularity of Carp fishing and the shaven headed, tatooed youths who started to fish, noisily, on the waters available to me. The end of the traditional coarse fishing close season? I don't know, but something inside of me changed. I had become, and still am, very interested in gardening, particularly growing Victorian and heritage flowers and vegetables, clay pots, old greenhouses and walled gardens. Very much like traditional angling I suppose. Not mainstream, but again in my life, a road less traveled.
Angling is still in the blood, which is why I discovered this forum. I cannot pass over a bridge without looking at the water below, I still walk the banks of the Derwent at Belper. Maybe one day I shall fish again, one frosty morning trotting for Dace and Grayling. Until that day comes, I shall still fish in my dreams.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Martin

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: A little odd......

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Martin.

What splendid introduction, I too gave up fishing at one point, for seven years and like you it was still in my blood and I also could never pass a bridge without looking over. It was in 1996 when I first saw 'A Passion for Angling' that got me back fishing and from that day I took the traditional fisher approach of Chris Yates.

I do hope you enjoy it here Martin and please tell us more about your fishing experiences and adventures, we would all love to here more of them.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

What a great read, and a hearty welcome to the forum from me. :)

I hope one day we can tempt you to take up the cane and pin once more and join us on a river bank where we can share a cuppa, until that day it will be a pleasure reading your posts.
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

J.T wrote:What a great read, and a hearty welcome to the forum from me. :)

I hope one day we can tempt you to take up the cane and pin once more and join us on a river bank where we can share a cuppa, until that day it will be a pleasure reading your posts.
Well said JT. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

A lovely post Martin. Thanks for sharing it.
Some amazing experiences and memories there.
'tis a shame about not angling any more but rest assured there are plenty of places to go to avoid the anglers you allude to.
With amount of effort you put into finding the giants of the angling world previously I'm sure you could find interesting and little fished streams, rivers and pools.
Enjoy the forum.
Last edited by Snape on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Now that's what I call an introduction!!! :hat:

The experiences you have had are nothing short of mindblowing, to have visited and chatted with the legends you have, well, words fail me.

As has been allready said by my friends, a very warm welcome to the forum and, if you ever fancy wetting a line again, you are more than welcome to tag along with us anytime!!!

:thumb:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

DontKnowMuch
Roach

Post by DontKnowMuch »

A really, really wonderful introduction Martin.

I look forward to your contributions to the site and do hope that you'll find some place to light your fishing fire again. I do understand exactly what you mean about the modern carp fishing scene, and I have a foot in either camp.

Welcome :hat:

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Hello yew. Glad you found us...
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”