Hello from North Oxon!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Albion
Stickleback

Re: Hello from North Oxon!

Post by Albion »

Thanks for the response Liphook. Understood...I mostly use a Torqueedo these days, which I’m sure you would approve of and the Seagull is certainly an icon and part of our design heritage, but is not used much anymore.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Mark wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:09 am Welcome to the forum Alan.
Many thanks Mark for letting me join. Very much looking forward to being part of the community.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:12 am Welcome aboard. There's a certain irony to have brand new 'traditional' tackle but it all feels the same as the old stuff so, good luck with your venture.
Thanks Dave for your reply. It’s nice to know that traditional tackle is still made and the skills are not lost. As you say, I’m quite sure it is no different to using vintage tackle and I’m sure I’ll enjoy using and collecting both.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:21 am Welcome to the forum Alan, I can only assume that you are a man of considerable means, or you have won the lottery!😃 Your choice of tackle and supplier is of the highest order, I wish you well and look forward to hearing more from you! :Hat: :Hat:
Thanks Lea Dweller. I am neither a man of means nor a lottery winner, but I do have the advantage of working most of the year abroad and therefore tax free, which allows for a little leeway from the domestic management when Wishing to indulge in an occasional purchase. I tell her it is all about preparing for a quiet retirement where I won’t be underfoot!

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Bobthefloat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 pm Welcome to the forum.
A visit to the Harris Tweed shop to get kitted out and your good to go! :cheers:
What a great idea! I had Cordings in mind.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Harry wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:44 pm Welcome to the forum Sir... :Hat:
Thanks Harry for the welcome, very much appreciated.

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

Silfield wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:36 pm Welcome aboard Sir.
Ps if you want any more Seagulls give me a shout as I have 4 long shaft outboards in the shed!
Many thanks Silfield. I have a long shaft 40 Plus, which is more than sufficient for my needs, which I have converted to 25:1 to keep the fumes down. These things are indestructible!

Albion
Stickleback

Post by Albion »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:09 am
Albion wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:51 am Hi all

Many thanks for letting me join your wonderful forum. I am absolutely brand new to fishing, but being a traditionalist in most things (think Tideway dinghy, Vapalux lamp, Atco Light 14’’ mower, Seagull outboard...) I am only interested in using traditional tackle (new and vintage) wherever possible. To that end, I am visiting a chap called Mr Edward Barder on the 23rd to pick up a little Christmas present for myself in the way of a ‘’The Bishop’’ carp rod and Mr Chris Lythe has agreed to make a reel to suit! Mr Paul Cook is currently working on some floats and bank sticks and I have an early Ealing B. James MK IV Avon Rod, refurbished by Paul and an Allcock Aerial Match, 1939 waiting for collection and Mr Lezsek Delag has kindly added me to his list of clients for his update of the Aerial Match.

I have no doubt that this list will grow over time, so just wanted to say, I can’t think of a better way to spend my hard-earned! Very much looking forward to getting out and fishing and sharing my experiences with all of you.

Kind regards

Alan
You sir are the perfect example of my argument at home that it is a far far better idea to choose ones own Christmas presents....

Thanks
BB
Thanks BB...I totally agree, how else would you get what you’ve always wanted!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Albion wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:39 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:21 am Welcome to the forum Alan, I can only assume that you are a man of considerable means, or you have won the lottery!😃 Your choice of tackle and supplier is of the highest order, I wish you well and look forward to hearing more from you! :Hat: :Hat:
Thanks Lea Dweller. I am neither a man of means nor a lottery winner, but I do have the advantage of working most of the year abroad and therefore tax free, which allows for a little leeway from the domestic management when Wishing to indulge in an occasional purchase. I tell her it is all about preparing for a quiet retirement where I won’t be underfoot!
It sounds as if you are preparing for retirement very well, I wish you all the best! I have also indulged myself a few times since retirement, including buying a Rolex oyster perpetual, (previously owned). I subsequently sold it at a small profit as the movement did not suit occasional use. Having spent a small fortune on annual trips to Australia for the last fifteen years, I am now looking for a vintage Timex! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

For the real vintage look Ted.... you could always try a sun dial..... :Chuckle:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”