New member from Sussex

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Kev D
Chub

Re: New member from Sussex

Post by Kev D »

Here goes with my first attempt at loading a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Well that seemed to have worked ; though it should probably be in another section .
I know it doesn't look much but there is a story behind it . I bought this reel from a junk shop in Littlehampton over 35 years ago. It came on an old greenheart rod for the princely sum of £4.50.
Believe it or not it was in even worse condition. Despite the brass repair plates that look like they have been salvaged from a carriage clock it was very rickety. So I sort of impregnated the gaps with Araldite mixed with brown Humbrol paint. The foot has just been hacked out of a bit of plate and rivetted on the bracket. Just the sort of thing a young or impoverished angler might have done with only minimal tools to hand.
It is totally worthless as a collector's item but is priceless to me because crudely stamped on the foot is a name. And though I had no idea it was there when I bought the rod and reel the surname turned out to be my Mum's maiden name of Smart .What's more her family originally came from the Arundel and Littlehampton areas. I just like to believe it really is a piece of family history. I do occasionally use it for pike fishing and love the way it sort of runbles when a pike makes a run.
Sorry if this in the wrong section but I was just seeing if I could manage to do a post with pictures.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi again Kev, Congratulations in posting a photo, that's more then I have achieved to date. Your reel is a case study on its own! I have a reel that is just in a similar state and had a go at" recommissioning" it. I glued it together then cut out a solid brass plate to cover the whole of the face,securing it with brass screws. Yes it heavy and I have used it ..very satisfying and no one has commented. I wish I could post a picture but lack the know how! :Hair out: :Hair out:

DWW
Grayling

Post by DWW »

Hi Kev,
Welcome! I am also in West Sussex. If you are free for a spot of tea and cake whilst on the bank pm me.
Tight Lines
Dww

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Welcolm aboard Kev, a great post.

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Hello Kev,
I like your approach

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Welcome aboard Kev.
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Carp Artist
Arctic Char

Post by Carp Artist »

Welcome aboard Kev. :Hat:
Not a fish was visible that first time I visited Beechmere; an utter
stillness brooded over the place and I felt the strange and sinister atmosphere which, so the story goes,
has been the cause of several suicides.’
BB – Confessions of a Carp Fisher

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Kev D wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 pm Here goes with my first attempt at loading a picture.
Kev, I think that's one of the most beautiful pieces of fishing gear I have ever seen. And the name on it, I don't blame you sir. That would be special indeed to have a reel with a mothers maiden name on it. Who knows, it could be a family heirloom.

Any way, welcome to the forum, I hope you post many outings so I can read them.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Thanks for the welcomes from everyone. Not quite sure the reel qualifies as an heirloom lasgair but maybe at least of family interest.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”