Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
PJCully
Stickleback

Post by PJCully »

Evening all. I’m Paul from Thirsk. A newbie really at 47, been fishing only the last ten years for carp, barbel. Last couple of years been going a little more B.B. and Chris Yates.
Would really love some information about a couple of cane rods I’ve bought recently,
Wondered the age of this Alcock light caster I got for an incredible £7, it has the gold label on it and screw fitting, won’t let me post pic, and a beautiful fly rod that arrived today, £10 steal of eBay, cannot wait to have a try for some trout. ‘A Lee Rod’ it says black demon on the label and came in a allcocks bag, appreciate if anyone could give me anymore history to these?

On the look for a cane barbel/carp and I’m complete 😀

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Newbie

Post by Duebel »

:Hahaha: Welcome to the TFF, PJCully!

I can't help you with the rods, but posting a pictures is pretty easy.

Select Full editor & Preview

Select the square green white black icon and do what your computer or phone tells you
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Good evening Paul , welcome to the forum , I am afraid a I cannot help with your rods but I am sure one of the other more knowledgeable members will be along shortly
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Paul, have a look at this link for posting pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=24795
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

PJCully
Stickleback

Post by PJCully »

Thanks for warm welcome guys and the advice, so am curious about this lightcaster, I wondered if it is a newer model?
And also this lovely A Lee Rod (can’t wait to try it out)
ImageImage

Any information about the fly including what might be a nice reel and how do I find out the WF??? (I know, annoying newbies with their constant questions...)
Thank you all v much.
Paul

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Welcome Paul. Finding out the AFTM of a cane fly rod is a process of trial and error and it depends how much line you typically want to cast. If your new to fly fishing and don't have any lines then I'd get a couple of cheap ones to see how the weights feel. I'd try a #5DT F first and see what that feels like and if it loads the rod. Start with a short line though. You'll sense if you are overloading the rod or if you feel you are having to cast a long line to load it sufficiently. If you have to cast a long line but don't want or need to where you'll be fishing you can go up a weight. Once you know what suits you, the rod and the fishing situation then buy an appropriate line of good quality.

If you already have lines then it's a case of trial and error. Lots of older cane fly rods like yours tend to be rated 5/6.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

WELCOME!

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Welcome to the forum .

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum.

You did very well to find the rods at those prices.

The Light Caster is a very popular rod and has been around for a long time. I have it here in a 1938 catalogue and still available in a 1959 catalogue. It was also sold under many different makers logos so probably supplied by Allcocks as a trade rod.

ImageImage

The Black Demon is in my 1967 and 1969 Allcocks catalogues but I cant find any earlier mention of it. This is about the time Allcocks, Youngs and Lee of Redditch were bought out by Shakespeare and traded under the Top Tackle banner.

ImageImage

From the same catalogue is this line rating and reel size guide for Allcocks fly rods.

I hope this helps your search and good luck when you decide to give them an outing.

Wal.

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Welcome aboard. :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”