Hello from across the pond.

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Iasgair
Chub

Hello from across the pond.

Post by Iasgair »

I would like to say thank you for allowing me to become a member on this incredible forum. I have spent the last few hours just browsing through it and I must say that compared to the forums here in the States, this forum has a special something about it. It's probably due to the fact that I know nothing about British waters, though I love the traditional ways to catch trout. I have watched video's from Great Britain on fishing and I enjoy them very much from the fish to the beautiful landscapes. I guess I would like to learn more on the ways fly fishing in it's traditional form done in Great Britain. And this forum is a wonderful place to start.

I live in Colorado, and it's here I learned from my grandfather how to fly fish the way he did. My family was from the counties of Ross and Cromarty in Scotland and moved to the USA in the 1960's. In 1965 I was born. My gandfather was an avid fly fisherman who believed in the ways of W.C. Stewart and other gentlemen like him. Dry fly and wets were the only flies he would fish with, and it was casting upstream, or up and across. Swinging flies was not acceptable because to him it was the lazy man's way of angling. Bamboo rods were the tools of choice, and by the time I was big enough to cast, he would take me to the river and practice casting.

He taught me to always keep the sport simple, and not get caught up in the hype of all the new ideas and gadgets. The ways that were done 150 years ago still worked as a child, and even today. I did eventually meander off the path and started reading magazines and learning all the different ways of fly fishing till it became too much work, and less recreational pleasure. It was last year I decided to leave the new ways learned and return to my beginnings. I have never been happier. I now no longer stare into my fly box wasting time deciding on what fly to use, because my fly selection is simple. I fish going upstream, casting upstream searching for trout bravely taking a meal from the surface.

I enjoy the traditions of the old ways, plus the history of it. And there is no other place to follow the traditions and history than Great Britain. The USA is fantastic, but we seem to follow what the British Isles have already established.

I would like to visit GB someday and fish the famous Chalk Streams and the rivers in the Highlands of Scotland. But since I can't, I hope you will allow me to fish vicariously through you. I fish the fast moving freestone rivers, creeks and streams here in the Rocky Mountains. I understand that it is a little different than what you have there, and I am happy to share my adventures with all of you.

I must say I have never seen a fishing forum with ghost stories. We may not have ghosts running through our mountains, but then again, maybe we do. But we do have sightings of Bigfoot, especially around the Pikes Peak area.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Hello from across the pond.

Post by Duebel »

Sorry, that the first reply comes from overseas (well from the continent, to be precise).

Welcome to the TFF, Iasgair, the gaelic fisherman!

Reading your introduction, I'm very sure, that we can learn a lot from you. I can't wait to seeing some pictures and reading your reports about traditional fly fishing in the Rocky Mountains.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Lasgair :Hat:

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Very interesting introduction. Funnily enough, I have an interest in American fly fishing history. I look forward to reading reports of fishing those Rocky Mountain creeks. I suppose you must be living fairly close to one of my literary heroes, John Gierach?

Welcome to the forum sir... :Hat:

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome to the forum
That was a very nice introduction :Hat:

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Great to have you with us. Your grandfather was a wise man, WC Stewart is an excellent writer; his ‘practical angler’ being a firm favourite of mine. Make sure to get loads of pictures of these Rocky Mountain streams, I’d love to see them.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Muscavado
Grayling

Post by Muscavado »

Lasgair,

What an interesting post , I look forward to hearing of your further exploits

:welcome:

John

Black Prince
Crucian Carp

Post by Black Prince »

Hello lasgair and a big traditional :welcome: to you it’s a nice forum you will be able to learn a lot :fishing1: nice post introducing your self :fish: mike

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Welcome to the forum Iasgair :Hat:

Do you know of Erin Block? She's in Colorado and writes beautifully about the scenery and the fishing - with a cane rod she built herself.

I've Googled your moniker - very apt.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”