Milward Floatrover - HELP!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
AEHDullies
Stickleback

Milward Floatrover - HELP!

Post by AEHDullies »

Hi Everybody - just joined up and very much looking forward to sharing in this group. I am recently returned to U.K. after 36 years in South Africa. I am keen to get back into local coarse fishing scene using the equipment that I last used as a youngster many years ago in U.K.
Amongst this equipment is a Millward Floatrover purchased circa 1964 - but first I need to fix an issue and would appreciate some guidance from enthusiasts such as yourselves. The rod is in excellent condition bar one thing. In my misguided youth, I literally sawed off the top foot or so and converted that piece to a screw-in swingtip, which fitted to a threaded top ring that I fitted myself. Crazy, I know, but it did produce some impressive bottom fishing results back then.
Now, I would like to enjoy the rod in its original condition and it seems to me that I have a couple of choices. First would be to either buy a replacement top section or have a new section made? Or maybe it would be possible to effect some sort of repair with the two pieces that I have? As I say, other than that mindless conversion, the rod really is in superb condition - in fact, unused for 45 years!
I would appreciate any advice or recommendations as to go use help in the repair
Regards
Alan Hatton
Show me a river .......

Mark
Head Bailiff

Re: Milward Floatrover - HELP!

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Alan.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Alan

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Welcome aboard Alan, in all honesty your best course of action is to get a new tip made if you really want to enjoy the rod as the maker intended, there are a few masters of the dark art on here, some are professional rod builders, I'm sure one will see this.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

Welcome to the forum sir :Hat:

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Alan!

I wouldn't change that rod as it is a part of your own angling history. I'd love to see some pictures!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

AEHDullies
Stickleback

Post by AEHDullies »

Thanks for your replies - and for the warm welcomes.
Martin - I like your point that the conversion is part of my history and should be kept intact. I think what I'll do is to get a new tip made to match the original (subject to cost) and keep the swing-tip conversion ..... that way I have the best of both worlds!
I'll show pics when it arrives - right now it is somewhere off the West Coast of Africa in a 40' container.
Regards
Alan
Show me a river .......

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the rod too!

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

Hello Alan, welcome to the TFF

Tom
Rudd

Post by Tom »

Welcome Alan, you could as a cheap solution look for a tip of a second hand rod (flyrod are some times very cheap)
wich would more or less match the original tip.
Best regards,
Tom

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”