First Rod...

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Drifton
Stickleback

First Rod...

Post by Drifton »

Hello,

I have been asked by the registration thingy to introduce myself.

Albeit my user is Drifton, my name is David, or as I prefer, Dave (everyone knows a Dave). I am a child of the fifties, a youth of the sixties and an ought to know better of the seventies.

My journey began 1963 with the purchase of what I thought then, and still do, the most beautiful rod in the world. This ‘antique’ rod cost me all my Christmas, birthday and pocket money, forty-two shillings and sixpence, (£2.12½p). The horror of the price still lives with me but I had been coveting it for months and months. The vendor threw in an old star back reel, some line, floats, shot and pre-set hooks; the scoop of gentles I had to pay for. This rod was/is a seventy-nine inch, two section split cane affair, silk wrapped every ¾”, with ceramics and all brass fittings. The moulded wording on the rubber handle button boast ‘Hardy’ but I suspect this was a much later retro-fit. The only other distinguishing feature is a Victoria ‘bun head’ farthing brazed to the top of the static feral slide. I know now that this rod would be more at home off the end of Southend Pier than a slow running river like the Granta, Cam or Ouse, but back then I was its now very proud keeper. As the poem goes…

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went,
And cannot come again.

But I do still have it. It hangs on the wall of our summerhouse, set up complete with said reel, 12lbs silk line(?) and the last of the floats, a large ‘Avon’ which I never actually used, a medium quill is better suited for our quiet waters.

This was the first and last rod that I actually purchased. In about 1965 my maternal uncle, seeing my keenness, gifted me his three rods. Two, three section split cane fly rods, a 1948 J. Dickson ‘Service’ and a 1925 Hardy ‘Tournament’, both in good condition. Also an Allcocks’ three section flamed cane and greenheart course rod in very poor, used condition.

Due to arthritis my line tying and casting days are over, not that I was ever a prolific fisherman anyway. But I do dearly like reading the posts on this site of an evening and the other day I thought I’d join. Maybe even get tips on bringing back the Allcock.

Cheers,
Dave

ImageImageImageImageImage

Aitch
Pike

Re: First Rod...

Post by Aitch »

A wonderful introduction Sir, and welcome to the forum.... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I agree, a lovely introduction.
Welcome to the forum.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

Lovely post Dave, welcome...I love farthings (and half crowns) - they remind me of my childhood.
Do you still fish?
Best regards
Mem

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Dave.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

A very nice introduction, welcome Dave, I hope the forum inspires you to wet a line :Hat:

Why don't you change your user name to Dave ( and letter of your surname) now we know who you are?

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

A very warm welcome Dave. :Hat:

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Welcome aboard lovely photos and introduction

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President