Wallis Avon Repair

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
PaulChappell1
Stickleback

Re: Wallis Avon Repair

Post by PaulChappell1 »

I had heard of this and it makes sense good sense applying a few times to build up, i think i shall give it a go, I bought the rod because it looked so nice, but trotting on the Avon last year was hard going!

I lasted an hour or two max, I did catch a few dace and roach,

Hmm the glue method intrigues me more! the tolerance is so fine it might just work

PaulChappell1
Stickleback

Post by PaulChappell1 »

ps thanks!!

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:23 pm Hi Paul and welcome to the forum..

The male part of the ferrule can be enlarged to give a "like new" fit but it means removing it from the rod but as the postage cost would makes this an expensive exercise it is probably best left alone and simply rub a candle on the joint each time you use the rod, as others have said.

There is however a temporary way to create a better fit and this is to smear thin superglue (pound shop stuff) over the male, allow it to dry thoroughly (use a hair drier) and then lightly smooth it down with wire wool before trying it in the female. You may need to do it two or three times until it has built up enough to give a nice tight fit. Once you have achieved a good fit, smooth it down once more and then rub a candle over it to make it slide in and out smoothly.

Having said all this, if you are considering selling the rod then I don't think it would reduce the rods resale value if it was just left alone as most owners can accept these small imperfections.

Wal.
That's a really good tip Wal, really worth remembering. Your knowledge never fails to astound me! :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Shed_Monkey
Grayling

Post by Shed_Monkey »

Paul - if you know anyone with a lathe it's a very quick and simple process to carefully compress the female slightly in the chuck jaws and take out the slack. Where in the UK are you based?

Cheers
Steve

OldTackle
Arctic Char

Post by OldTackle »

Shed_Monkey wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:22 pm Paul - if you know anyone with a lathe it's a very quick and simple process to carefully compress the female slightly in the chuck jaws and take out the slack. Where in the UK are you based?

Cheers
Steve
Successfully did this to my Allcocks Super Wizard. The superglue method suggested by Wal will work too of course. And I use Fjällräven's wax!
< °) >>><( Christopher )><<< (° >

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

If you've tried candle wax and it made no difference, maybe the ferrule is actually loose on the cane ?????
Last edited by Ljm183 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Ljm183 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 am If you've tried candle wax it it made no difference, maybe the ferrule is actually loose on the cane ?????
Good point...

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Ljm183 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:05 am If you've tried candle wax it it made no difference, maybe the ferrule is actually loose on the cane ?????
Good point, and very likely.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”