Wallis Avon Repair

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
PaulChappell1
Stickleback

Wallis Avon Repair

Post by PaulChappell1 »

Hi,

just joined the forum, and wanted get some info on the Wallis Avon I own. It is a Clive Young built Rod I purchased a few years ago. Lovely rod in almost new condition. I have used once. I popped it together recently and noticed the ferrule pushes right up to the joint and there is a very slight rattle if i flex the rod. It should be more snug than is. The ferrule
was a bit tarnished after a year in my shed and i made mistake of cleaning with some wire wool, it pops out but should be tighter.

Anybody have a solution, have tried a bit of candle wax but no better, any suggestions as was thinking of selling rod due to non-usage, but this would need to be rectified first. Its very slight but nevertheless niggles me!

many thanks

Paul

Paul D

Re: Wallis Avon Repair

Post by Paul D »

Sadly Paul, welcome to the forum by the way, I think you've spoilt the fit irreversibly......

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I use a bit of candle wax rubbed on the male ferrule this sometimes tightens things up a bit...worth a try, but you will need to re apply it each time you use it as I do with my James Avon Perfection...
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

The modified pipe cutter method may work to tighten the female, or replace the set which is fairly easy to do.
This is a rod worth repairing and keeping

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF!
I've tried the modified pipe cutter method, mentioned by Paul, once and ended up with a broken ball bearing. But at least the ferrule wasn't damaged.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Stour Otter
Grayling

Post by Stour Otter »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:56 am I use a bit of candle wax rubbed on the male ferrule this sometimes tightens things up a bit...worth a try, but you will need to re apply it each time you use it as I do with my James Avon Perfection...
As RB has said. I find the candle wax quick fix works well.
The good angler is not the one with expensive equipment. Common sense, observation and trying to realize
what is happening above and below water will catch fish no matter what price equipment you fish with.
L.A. Parker - This Fishing 1948

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

"I've tried the modified pipe cutter method, mentioned by Paul, once and ended up with a broken ball bearing."
OUCH! Not gentle enough; the idea is to massage the metal into shape. I've used the pipe cutter method, but with half a rubber grommet replacing the cutting wheel - luckily for me, the slot for the wheel was too narrow for a ball-bearing, or even a whole grommet, or I'd probably have done the same!

Piccies:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=896&p=8977&hilit=pipe+cutter#p8977
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

PaulChappell1
Stickleback

Post by PaulChappell1 »

ok thanks every one, for all the help

I feared Paul D you might say this, I guess i can do the wax and use for foreseeable future but its not a fix, are we talking mega bucks to replace the male ferrule anyone, I re-whipped the Sealey i have and its goodish but never professional! So i wouldn't undertake replacing a ferrule and whipping to Clive's standard!!

-not sure about attacking it with a pipe cutter too although i see your link Vole, and its tempting to have a practise on an old basket case, I think this rod is too nice for me to experiment on !

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum..

The male part of the ferrule can be enlarged to give a "like new" fit but it means removing it from the rod but as the postage cost would makes this an expensive exercise it is probably best left alone and simply rub a candle on the joint each time you use the rod, as others have said.

There is however a temporary way to create a better fit and this is to smear thin superglue (pound shop stuff) over the male, allow it to dry thoroughly (use a hair drier) and then lightly smooth it down with wire wool before trying it in the female. You may need to do it two or three times until it has built up enough to give a nice tight fit. Once you have achieved a good fit, smooth it down once more and then rub a candle over it to make it slide in and out smoothly.

Having said all this, if you are considering selling the rod then I don't think it would reduce the rods resale value if it was just left alone as most owners can accept these small imperfections.

Wal.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Wise words from the good doctor....doctor Who? Doctor Cane.... :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”