New member and plea for Carp fishing help!

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: New member and plea for Carp fishing help!

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Ben!
I'm not a carp angler, so I can't really help you. I catch the occasional carp from my river on sweetcorn or bread - no hair rigs involved. Float, hook, bait that's all I use.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Surface fishing if possible if not then try spam to start with. Some fish in some lakes go nuts for it others don't even sniff it. If everybody else fishes the lake with boilies then you have a unique bait!

I don't ever fish with a hair rig – to me that's a trappers method of hooking a carp not a fisherman's method. :Happy:

Line strength depends on the snags, weed and what rod(s) you have rather than the pure size of the fish. In open water you could go down to about 6lb line but I generally use 8 – 10lbs. With bad snags you want 12 – 15lb and get a good line whatever strain you choose like Pro Gold, that is as tough as old boots. Using 12 – 15b line you want a stronger rod than a standard MkIV.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

Welcome to the forum Ben. I am not a carp fisher, but I wish you well in your endeavours!

BenEagles22

Post by BenEagles22 »

Thanks GB,

I'm lucky in that the lake I fish is privately owned by a school. It ceased being a day ticket about 10 years ago, so I'm the only angler!
I've done the loads of bait, haIr rig etc but it never felt quite right.
These are fish living very naturally and I want to stalk them, with MORE natUral baits and traditional tackle.
I feel that way i will be improving as an angler and actually learning about their habits.
It feels wrong serving them up a luminous boilie!
I have had much more success with corn, chickpeas etc
This approach is exactly what's brought me to TFF.
Thanks again,
Ben

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Firstly a warm welcome to the TFF.My favourite carp fishing is with a floating freelined bait bang up against the bank or reeds in the margins, explosive sport! I also love float fishing and once again close in is a favourite, with bread on the bottom and waiting for a lift on the float, once again exciting sport. I am never on a mission just out to fool a fish and enjoy myself and often do a lot more looking and listening than dangling..... I always congratulate a lost fish as well. :Hat:
Edit, Forgot to add... a cane rod, and for close in a centrepin of course.
Last edited by Reedling on Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Snape wrote:
JAA wrote:You could do worse than have a read of our own Carping Gnome's website as well.

http://www.carpinggnome.com/197224916

Hear, hear. Gary certainly knows his stuff.
You are most kind, JAA and Snape - I actually blush! :Sun:

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

Hello again, Ben

Your lake sounds idyllic. Reviewing `A Passion for Angling,' getting a good pair of binoculars, and finding yourself a lookout tree to climb might be the best order of business. While I have caught most of my carp legering in rivers, the forum has plenty of members who can share their expertise in stalking carp in lakes. We even have one called Loop Erimder.

Keep us posted about your fishing experiences! This is a very friendly, helpful group.

G. B.

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Ben.
I'm not an experienced carp angler compared to many on here but all my carp have been caught close in with either bread on the surface or float fished prawn on the bottom with no hair rig. If you are the only one fishing a natural type water I would have thought either should work ok for you as well.

JAA

Post by JAA »

Gary Bills wrote:
Snape wrote:
JAA wrote:You could do worse than have a read of our own Carping Gnome's website as well.

http://www.carpinggnome.com/197224916

Hear, hear. Gary certainly knows his stuff.
You are most kind, JAA and Snape - I actually blush! :Sun:
Send cheques and PO's to.... :Cool:

N9nty
Roach

Post by N9nty »

I have caught many carp on nothing more complicated than a small porcupine quill and a single piece of sweetcorn fished in the margins. The only other bait I use is a piece of breadflake, best fish to date is 28lb. I also use a piece of floating crust when I know where the fish are, generally I try to avoid carp where possible as I fish for tench and roach. This method has outfished conventual carp methods on numerous occasions.
Best of luck.

John
The older I get the better I was.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”