Another new member

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
OldGreyMan

Another new member

Post by OldGreyMan »

I am just returning to fishing after a 31-year break and apart from replacing line, landing net and leads have not changed anything else. Even my hooks are old ones (semicircular Mustad gold) with the barbs ground away.

I possess an Intrepid Classic fixed-spool reel, a Mitchell 300 and a Grice & Young Gypsy d'Or centre-pin. For rods I have a J B Walker of Hythe kit-built R Walker Mk IV Avon from my teens, a R Walker Mk IV kit-built bought on eBay, and a hollow glass 2lb curve, 11' rod from the 1970s. I also have a Heron bite alarm from the 1960s but making it work in the absence of the old Ever Ready batteries is proving tricky, though I have plenty of the old patterned cigarette foil which catches low light very well for ledger bite indicators. Floats are porcupine quills, various bird quills and a few balsa, part home-made and part bought.

My first rod was a 19th-century cane fly rod from a secondhand shop, after which I picked up my father's modified tank aerial when he became tired of his brief foray into angling. Then came the Avon and the rest. My friends and I fished round Exeter in the 1960s and my main claim to fame is that in the early 1970s I fished BBs Old Copper Mine courtesy of an acquaintance who had identified it from clues in BB's works and had written to him asking if he had it right. At the time you could simply roll up and ask the owner - I can't remember if any money was involved.

Since joining a club here in Cheshire and going out about half a dozen times, I must say the fish are proving reluctant - apart from one 2" silver chap who hung on just to encourage me!

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Re: Another new member

Post by Richard Jackson »

Welcome to the forum ,enjoy :Hat:
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

A hearty welcome, Sir.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Welcome to the TFF, Oldgreyman!

The fish just haven't noticed your fine tackle yet. It won't be long!

Any chance to see a few pictures of your rods and reels?
Last edited by Duebel on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Stuart Whiting

Post by Stuart Whiting »

:welcome: to the forum, hope you have many enjoyable hrs :Thumb:

Julian
Salmon

Post by Julian »

Welcome aboard Oldgreyman. :Hat:
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF OGM

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Welcome.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Paul D

Post by Paul D »

Welcome aboard Sir. :Hat:

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”