Good afternoon.

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Keith Speer

Re: Good afternoon.

Post by Keith Speer »

Hi JT

The Hatfield and Francis Francis are two different clubs.
Hatfield have their fisheries at Hatfield House in Hertfordshire, an Estate lake and about 4 miles of the Upper River Lea.

I "borrowed" this from Wikpedia!

“Henry VIII's children Edward and Elizabeth spent their youth at Hatfield Palace. His eldest daughter Queen Mary lived there between 1533 and 1536, when she was sent to wait on the then Princess Elizabeth, as punishment for refusing to recognise Henrys marriage to Anne Boleyn and his religious reforms. In 1548, when she was only 15 years old, Elizabeth was under suspicion of having illegally agreed to marry Thomas Seymour, the House and her servants were seized by Edward VI's agent Robert Tyrwhit, and she was interrogated there. She successfully defended her conduct with wit and defiance. Seymour was executed in 1549 for numerous other crimes against the crown. After her two months of imprisonment in the Tower of London by her sister Queen Mary, Elizabeth returned to Hatfield. The Queen Elizabeth Oak on the grounds of the estate is said to be the location where Elizabeth was told she was Queen following Mary's death, but is considered unlikely as Mary died in November. In November 1558, Elizabeth held her first Council of State in the Great Hall.”

The Francis Francis are said to be one of the oldest angling clubs in England, we have a charter to moor our punts on Twickenham Embankment (outside the Barmy Arms public house, quite apt really) on the Tidal Thames.
We fish in a very traditional way, mainly using centre pins and float tackle and more often than not using traditional mashed bread with wet bread hookbait.

The punts are used in the traditional way of Thames anglers, moored across the stream and held in position with Rypecks (long wooden poles shod with an Iron pointed boot) that are chained to the punt in such a way that the punt can rise and fall with the tide without the need for constant adjustment.

I would now post up an IP address but I have yet to complete the Francis Francis website.

J.T
Catfish

Post by J.T »

Cheers for posting that Keith, a very interesting read :thumb:

Do post the URL/IP when the site is done as I would like to know more about Fracis Francis. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Welcome aboard Keith, great to have you with us sir!! :thumb: :hat:
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Welcome Keith,

I've always fancied a day on the Thames on a Punt. sounds great.

Gaz

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Welcome from me too, Keith.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Hi Keith
I thought I recognised your name then the penny dropped that I have seen you quite a few times cradling huge barbel, often caught by trotting maggots, on the home page of Barbel Fishing World.
Welcome to the forum. :hat:
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”