Hello from a new member

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Trevor
Eel

Hello from a new member

Post by Trevor »

Good morning all :hat: ,
Since stumbling across this site a few days ago I have been perusing the pages and found it very friendly, informative and entertaining, so I thought I would sign up and say hello.

Now I will confess from the off that I do use such ‘darke magick’ as carbon fibre, freespools and those little round balls of boiled paste , but I also have a leaning toward more traditional angling methods.

A fisherman for 30 years, I have spent the last couple of winters fishing my local river and last winter bought a centre pin to use with my Avon/quiver rod. Not an antique ‘pin, but a more affordable new one to try it out (you may have seen the one on t’internet, it carries the signature of some Italian sounding chap that I’ve never heard of). Having enjoyed using it I would next like to obtain a cane rod and traditional ‘pin although the going prices seem a bit prohibitive, so I am exploring the option of restoration (never done it before, but I’ve found lots of help and advice around here already). I’m also interested in float making and after yet more information on here I’ll probably give that a go first. Walk before I can run etc.

With spring now arriving I am currently exploring a small, local ‘pleasure’ fishing lake in which I’ve discovered some interesting old carp that hardly anyone else seems to fish for. I started things off well last Sunday with a nice looking 12lb common. I’ll be spending the rest of the spring trying to find out what else the pool contains before it gets too busy in the summer, by which time I will have discovered an overgrown, weedy old lake, never before fished and full of hitherto unknown monster carp (or not, as the case may be).

Other than that my dream is to fish at Redmire, something which many of you appear to have achieved already. All I need is a) the funds, and b) the nerve to pick up the handset and start dialling on phone wars day.

I will stop rambling now, other than to say I look forward to delving further into the site and learning more about traditional angling methods and tackle

Yours
Trevor

J.T
Catfish

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by J.T »

Welcome to the forum Mr Blackadder and thank you for the introduction. :hat:
"piscator non solum piscatur"

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum Blackadder, thank you for a very nice introduction. :hat:

Love the avatar by the way. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Tony1964

Post by Tony1964 »

Ah, Catpain Blackudder, welcome aboard sir. I hope that you find this forum as enjoyable as a Charlie Chaplin movie. :chuckle:

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

welcome to the forum
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Welcome to the forum Blackadder. :hat:
Are you North or South Oxfordshire?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Bay Leaf

Post by Bay Leaf »

Welcome Blackadder, like you I have mainly glass and carbon but do like to fish in what I think of as a traditional manner.

Trevor
Eel

Post by Trevor »

Thank you for your welcoming words.
Snape - I live in the North of the county, Banbury to be precise.
Tony - Cheeky! the words arrow, neck and gas bill spring to mind! :wink:

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Blackadder wrote:Thank you for your welcoming words.
Snape - I live in the North of the county, Banbury to be precise.
Tony - Cheeky! the words arrow, neck and gas bill spring to mind! :wink:
Maybe we can meet up. I live in Hook Norton and work in Bloxham.
I like the sound of the carp pool. I'm wondering where that might be?
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Welcome from me too, Captain.

Like you, I've only recently taken up the more traditional approach to fishing [although my cane & my glass rods now outnumber my carbon ones].

Does Baldrick make a passable ghillie?!

Craig.

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”