Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence:

This forum is for discussing rod bags by Ellen Lawrence.
Nobby
Wild Carp

Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence:

Post by Nobby »

Ellen makes splendid rod sleeves at an excellent price and of the highest quality. See the attatched images for the detail, including taped seam, hanging loops, tying ribbons and double-stitching in high-stress areas.

Ellen buys up cloth-ends to keep prices right down, so contact her to ask about colour availability and to discuss your requirements on:

ellen.lawrence345@btinternet.com

Unfortunately, khaki coloured cloth is proving impossible to source currently.

Don't forget when giving dimensions to Ellen to allow for large butt rings and rubber buttons and also for any ferrule stoppers or plugs.

In the event that Tinypic is having a bad day the images can also be viewed here:

http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh31 ... od%20bags/

Taped seams and tie ribbons

A bag for a Chapman 500 and one for an eleven foot float rod.
Last edited by Nobby on Wed May 30, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Beresford
Sea Trout

Re: Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence:

Post by Beresford »

Ha, I was just thinking about this. Thanks.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice to know that, thanks Nobby. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Nobby

When you specified the bag for the 500 did you have to give Ellen precise details to explain the shorter handle pocket or do you think would she understand 'Chapman 500 style'?

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I would think she would have the dimensions, as she's only just done that one for me last week and she had done others before.
I did ask if it was possible to put a flap on the handle pocket, but she told me she'd tried it before and hadn't liked the results. Provided the pocket is long enough the handle is safely held inside by the extra ribbon, when it is tied.
I used a bottle stopper from a miniature of Glenfidditch as a ferrule protector on the handle and asked for that pocket to be 25.5 inches long, the other two being 51 inches long. All pockets at two inches width which 'just' gets the butt ring in. In hindsight the butt-ringed cane section pocket might have been better just a little larger. You'd certainly need it larger if your rod still had the original 'spinning rod' ring, I think.

Here's the image I created, a bit naff, but it did the job:
Chapman 500 rod bag.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

I wouldnt mind a few bags myself to replace the mis match ive got at the moment, how much does she charge per bag?
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Ah, that's interesting, my three piece rod has the short pocket at the opening end so the flap to the bag covers all three pockets. I've repaired it a number of times and really ought to replace it. I also don't know if this little fly rod I've bought has a bag at all.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

I don't want to say what she charges per bag on an open forum...let's just say it's less than a packet of fags.

Including next day postage!

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Post by Loop Erimder »

Dont know how much fags are :chuckle: :thumb:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I've bought a couple from her, too, and agree they're great quality and value.

Re short handle pockets: both the Taperflash 14' and Sealey's "Leger Strike" had short handles, and got around the problem by having full-length pockets, one of which was stopped off half way along - simply by a line of stitches - it uses a bit more material, but a lot less work, and solves the flap problem.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

Return to “Rod Bags by Ellen Lawrence”