Have anglers forgotten how to fish rivers?

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Have anglers forgotten how to fish rivers?

Post by Shaun Harrison »

There isn't a more pleasing sight for me whilst visiting a stretch of river than to see the paths barely trodden.

This, believe it or not is the main path up the River Trent...

The view behind where I have broken through and the path ahead...

It is hard for me to take in that as a kid it was difficult to find an area to fish on the river Trent over the weekend period due to it constantly being booked up with matches. Those pictures were taken last Saturday afternoon. I had walked several miles of the Trent and only passed 2 other anglers.

No jumping in on the back of someone elses work. Just a case of experimenting and sorting areas and swims for yourself. It is almost like fishing a new virginal river again!

I love it!

AndyB
Dace

Re: Have anglers forgotten how to fish rivers?

Post by AndyB »

A familiar sight on a lot of rivers now Shaun, I'm not complaining either! I remember fishing the Thrumpton stretch in the 80's on Coventry DAA ticket. They used to print the weekend dates in the club book that the stretch was actually available to pleasure fish, there were not very many at all.

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

I really can't decide wether this is a good thing or a bad thing?
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Shaun :Hat: , a lot of anglers prefer to be able to take their car fishing with them :Chuckle: , have only got to walk along Iron Mongers now :Thumb: . as you know I always used mountain bike power :Cool: , I could travel far and fast and fish areas not now reached by car , it is true though most anglers don't like walking along way , is it because they carry too much tackle , I wonder or are just lazy :Confused: . kindest regards . Woolly bear . :Wink:

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Shaun :Wink: , are them photos of iron Mongers :Wink: . Woolly Bear . :Hat:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

I would conclude that Wooly is right about carrying too much tackle. Over the past three years I've sold probably half of my tackle and it hasn't effected my fishing, catch rate or entetainment in the slightest. If anything it's increased my catches. Maybe this is due to me not being put off moving anymore. When I had more tackle I used to take one look at what I would have to move and think...nah...I'll stay here.
Nowadays, I pack the bare essentials and stay more mobile. :Thumb:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Woolly Bear
Chub

Post by Woolly Bear »

Your trouble is you take more sandwiches than actual fishing tackle , but its an easy walk back to your car :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Very kindest regards :Hide: Woolly bear . :Tongue:

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

To be fair, it's only been a week and a half since the river season opened, so I'd imagine a lot of running water anglers have yet to make it to the bankside. I reckon those paths will be more well trodden when the weather picks up and the schools are out for summer.

My own Roding is heavily overgrown in a lot of places - absolutely impassable even with garden shears and elbow grease - so sometimes donning a pair of flip-flops and taking the easier, but wetter, route is necessary; the undergrowth may look undisturbed but a man has fished there :Cool:

On the tackle front, I started with a lot but realised I only used the same rod, reel and small tackle box. The rest of my gear is up the corner of my Man Cave, while I venture out with a small rucksack and net pole (which comes in handy for navigating mud, nettles and spiky vegetation).

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Woolly Bear wrote:Your trouble is you take more sandwiches than actual fishing tackle , but its an easy walk back to your car :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . Very kindest regards :Hide: Woolly bear . :Tongue:

Hah, I don't go by car nor do I need to take sandwiches. My river fishing is only 100 yards from my door. :Sarcasm: :Hahaha: :Wink:

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Shaun - all the river anglers have descended on the Wye.

Return to “River Trent”