Have anglers forgotten how to fish rivers?

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Shaun Harrison
Zander

Re: Have anglers forgotten how to fish rivers?

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Woolly Bear wrote:Shaun :Wink: , are them photos of iron Mongers :Wink: . Woolly Bear . :Hat:
Further up mate.
Bigoll wrote: My own Roding is heavily overgrown in a lot of places - absolutely impassable even with garden shears and elbow grease - so sometimes donning a pair of flip-flops and taking the easier, but wetter, route is necessary; the undergrowth may look undisturbed but a man has fished there :Cool:
They would need a wet suit and a snorkel to take the wetter route up the Trent :Chuckle:
Dave Burr wrote:Shaun - all the river anglers have descended on the Wye.
Oh dear, not good but easy access by car I guess is the common denominator. My river fishing on the Trent only usually lasts for a couple or three hours or sometimes really spoil myself for four or five hours so I don't need to carry much at all. The heaviest item is my bait.

The big downside of no-one being around is that there is little to deter Otters making themselves at home. The stretch I have photographed remained the same last year until the vegetation started to die down. It just wasn't fished, a friend of mine fished it in the Autumn and had to actually very discreetly cut an area just large enough to sneak into.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

On Friday night I will be fishing from my front door! I do'nt even have to carry my tackle! Just have to set up and cast out.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

At least you shouldn't forget anything or indeed leave anything behind when you pack away :Cool:

Gurn
Chub

Post by Gurn »

My little river is always untouched, unfished...except for me. :Wink:

http://theintrepidpiscator.blogspot.co. ... -dace.html

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

I love it as well, the sections I fish are similar but not as over grow as the river is surrounded by (very) friendly livestock (mainly bullocks) so you don't have to beat a path to the swims. There is a section of 15-20 pegs that you can park behind so these are more popular than the one with a bit of a walk. I think I could fish a different swim every time I went down and still not sit next to another angler. :Thumb:

I agree about the swims with parking being more popular for some people this is a must but for those prepared to put in the effort the rewards are well worth it. :Ok:
Last edited by Hovis on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Mario
Eel

Post by Mario »

you still get a few on the teme

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

The world of carp puddles has a lot to answer for... but then they produce instant gratification as opposed to a very real challenge.... I wonder how many folk would chose a day by a gently meandering river watching a stick or a waggler working it's way downstream, rather than a pair of rods on a pod with a set of alarms on some muddy hole in the ground, for a mid-double carp with a damaged mouth
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Bluelabel wrote:The world of carp puddles has a lot to answer for... but then they produce instant gratification as opposed to a very real challenge.... I wonder how many folk would chose a day by a gently meandering river watching a stick or a waggler working it's way downstream, rather than a pair of rods on a pod with a set of alarms on some muddy hole in the ground, for a mid-double carp with a damaged mouth

Well said Sir I could not agree more.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

PerchBasher

Post by PerchBasher »

Little wonder that anglers have forgotten how to fish rivers. Why would today’s anglers bother learning?

For a start there doesn’t seem to be any carp. The fishing itself is difficult with the float constantly moving. There is no parking so who, in this day and age can be expected to walk perhaps hundreds of yards to their swim? The banks are disgrace, no platforms, uneven, with long grass, trees and bushes and nowhere to pitch your bivvy. Whoever manages these places deserves sacking. The facilities are non-existent, no café, no on site tackle shop, no burger van and if you need to answer a call of nature, watch out for the stinging nettles.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

PerchBasher, I'm wondering if you have a very dry sense of humour like myself. You've just described paradise!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “River Trent”