Fiskerton, NPS day ticket stretch

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Fiskerton, NPS day ticket stretch

Post by Bob Brookes »

I fished for just over 3 hours with Hermit before attending the annual Nottingham Piscatorial Society speakers evening. We chose to fish a section of the main river that is accessible to anyone for daytime fishing, providing they have purchased a permit prior to fishing.

A couple of weeks ago I had a very interesting chat on the same river bank with Archie Braddock, the old Trent stalwart, about Trent perch. That inspired me to use this short session to try my luck for them. I bought 2 pints of red maggots and some large maggot feeders. I rigged up with a long hook link and a size 6 hook loaded with a couple of lobs. Casting every few minutes I was able to deposit a good few maggots and soon started getting indications.

I had 3 good bites which I duly missed when I struck at them. I can't say that they were perch, but I am pretty sure that they weren't barbel. Just before the light went I change to a size 10 hook and loaded it with maggots. Within a minute of casting in the rod went round and I lifted into.....nothing. The hook was missing so I think the culprit may have had teeth, possibly a pike or a zander.

Nothing was caught but I saw enough for me to want to try maggots and worm (or prawn) again on this stretch of the river which is accessible to all. While the river is not carrying extra water it is very fishable with traditional tackle. I took a couple of shots of the river, one just before the sun had set and one after I had packed up.

"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Re: Fiskerton, NPS day ticket stretch

Post by Rutland Rod »

Good write up and pics Bob, I’m tempted !
Tight lines Dave

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Yes, lovely photos Bob! Can you tell me where to obtain a day ticket please?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Looks like the proverbial millpond Bob. Great pictures mate..

Wal.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:03 pm Yes, lovely photos Bob! Can you tell me where to obtain a day ticket please?
The most convenient place to buy one is Fiskerton Post Office. They open nice and early as it is also a shop and newsagent. Get your ticket before you fish as tickets are not sold on the bank!

Drive through Fiskerton village toward Newark, the river is on the right. Past the big house on the right there is a short lane, also on the right. Park down there up to the NPS sign. From there you walk a couple of hundred yards to the river and you can fish from peg 21 downstream for about a mile. There is plenty to go at! :Thumb:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bob Brookes wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:12 pm
Jeremy Croxall wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:03 pm Yes, lovely photos Bob! Can you tell me where to obtain a day ticket please?
The most convenient place to buy one is Fiskerton Post Office. They open nice and early as it is also a shop and newsagent. Get your ticket before you fish as tickets are not sold on the bank!

Drive through Fiskerton village toward Newark, the river is on the right. Past the big house on the right there is a short lane, also on the right. Park down there up to the NPS sign. From there you walk a couple of hundred yards to the river and you can fish from peg 21 downstream for about a mile. There is plenty to go at! :Thumb:
Thanks Bob, will give it a go. Any one else interested in meeting up for a day?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Barbel
Minnow

Post by Barbel »

Hiya bob i ve applied for the notts piscatorial society just waiting to see what vacancies there for 2018 from mark morris whats the barbel fishing like on the trent these days i used to fish the trent at long eaton next to sawley for a few years had a good time on there had my first double from there well two really on the same night i had a series of blanks of a peg that screamed barbel as they say then one night hit the jackpot 6 fish with the 2 doubles amongst them i went back the following week and yes you ve got it blanked again that fishing but generally what is the barbel fishing like on the notts stretch i like to fish for the tench as well any knowledge on them bob . Eric

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Barbel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:23 pm Hiya bob i ve applied for the notts piscatorial society just waiting to see what vacancies there for 2018 from mark morris whats the barbel fishing like on the trent these days i used to fish the trent at long eaton next to sawley for a few years had a good time on there had my first double from there well two really on the same night i had a series of blanks of a peg that screamed barbel as they say then one night hit the jackpot 6 fish with the 2 doubles amongst them i went back the following week and yes you ve got it blanked again that fishing but generally what is the barbel fishing like on the notts stretch i like to fish for the tench as well any knowledge on them bob . Eric
P.M. sent Eric :Thumb:

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Ahhh.. the memories triggered by this post.

As a young lad, caught up by the match fishing scene I was introduced to the Trent by mentor Jimmy Jackson. With the Hyde Anglers Association ticket ( I think) he took me on many matches around the country but my first River Match was on the mighty Trent. I can’t remember if it was the Torksey lock stretch ( spelling) or Fiskerton but it was certainly different than the river Dane which was my only previous river experience.

I struggled, I used my brain, I caught and Jimmy was pleased.

After an abscence of 40 odd years I returned last year......and blanked.

These pictures just fire me up even more. Just need to sort life out!

Cheers Bob :Thumb:

Keep the phone and camera handy :Wink:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:46 pm Ahhh.. the memories triggered by this post.

As a young lad, caught up by the match fishing scene I was introduced to the Trent by mentor Jimmy Jackson. With the Hyde Anglers Association ticket ( I think) he took me on many matches around the country but my first River Match was on the mighty Trent. I can’t remember if it was the Torksey lock stretch ( spelling) or Fiskerton but it was certainly different than the river Dane which was my only previous river experience.

I struggled, I used my brain, I caught and Jimmy was pleased.

After an abscence of 40 odd years I returned last year......and blanked.

These pictures just fire me up even more. Just need to sort life out!

Cheers Bob :Thumb:

Keep the phone and camera handy :Wink:
You came, you saw some barbel, but didn't conquer them that time. You will next time, I'm sure of it.
Bob

Return to “River Trent”