River Trent - Big Chub

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Barbus

River Trent - Big Chub

Post by Barbus »

There have been a few 7lb + Chub coming from the river in the last few years. What is the biggest authentic fish you know of? There was an 8lb 5oz Chub caught in a match, and weighed on match scales caught on the tidal river about 3 years ago.
Let me say I have caught nothing anyway near these weights but you never know at this game.

Hovis
Tench

Re: River Trent - Big Chub

Post by Hovis »

I've had a few 6lb+ fish and they are fairly common now both on the tidal and none tidal. The main problem I've found is selecting the better fish, it's a numbers game.

On a river such as the Trent it's going to be difficult to single out bigger fish without wading through larger numbers of smaller fish. I used raw steak a few years ago to deter the bream and had some good results. Maybe that’s worth a go.
I’d be surprised if there had not been a big 8lb out at some point. I feel the Trent is capable of producing a record barbel and zander along with some mighty fine chub.

You planning on fishing for them?
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Flightliner

Post by Flightliner »

Barbus, I,ve fished the river many times, my best is a mid five. I hear stories of much bigger fish and dont for one minute think they are non existant but, knowing some very good, enthusiastic anglers who having fished for a "biggie" over several winters and not achieved anything much more than a "five" themselves think that tho some big chub exist they are pretty thin on the ground.
Two winters back I spent time trying on a few occasions with steak n mince with a chap from your county--
We had chub but tho fair sized the barbel were ever presant which made me think that an area not so well populated with whiskers could be a place to try.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Barbus,
I have had 4 chub over 6 lb from various stretches of the non tidal Trent. The largest was caught on cheese paste while I was fishing for them. The others were caught on pellets while targeting barbel.
The photo is if my biggest one, weighing 6.09.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Cracking fish Bob.

Izaak Walton

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Thanks Hovis.
I am always dubious over reports of enormous chub because they often look heavier thank they really are. That is particularly the in the summer when they are hollow. I do know from a very reliable source of 6.12 chub caught in September. That surely would be a genuine 7+ fish, if caught late in the season.
They are out there, but difficult to target as you said.
Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Flightliner

Post by Flightliner »

Super fish Bob, and in black and white too, so nice .

Barbus

Post by Barbus »

That's a stonking Chub Bob, just the sort of fish I'm after.

I have been using steak and mince for a few years now, best chub on it so far is 6-10 but not from the Trent. Interestingly I do catch quite a few Barbel on steak, but in late winter, the last few weeks of the season.
I agree with Hovis, the Trent is such a big river, and you are fishing blind all the time.I aim on fishing a maggot feeder for the Chub this summer, stepping up the gear somewhat to cope with any Barbel that may come along. It seems to work well the other way round for the Barbel anglers, some cracking Chub being taken.

I'm having a few days at Throop at the end of the month and I just hope the water is clear enough for a maggot attack there. The Cheese paste is already festering away if the water is up and coloured.

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Barbus wrote:That's a stonking Chub Bob, just the sort of fish I'm after.

I have been using steak and mince for a few years now, best chub on it so far is 6-10 but not from the Trent. Interestingly I do catch quite a few Barbel on steak, but in late winter, the last few weeks of the season.
I agree with Hovis, the Trent is such a big river, and you are fishing blind all the time.I aim on fishing a maggot feeder for the Chub this summer, stepping up the gear somewhat to cope with any Barbel that may come along. It seems to work well the other way round for the Barbel anglers, some cracking Chub being taken.I'm having a few days at Throop at the end of the month and I just hope the water is clear enough for a maggot attack there. The Cheese paste is already festering away if the water is up and coloured.
There are so many fish in the Trent you may be getting your string pulled a fair bit like that. I've fished a 9lb bottom and size 14 and landed Barbs to 13lb. This was on a fairly snag free section though.

Good luck

Izaak Walton

Fred Bonney
Perch

Post by Fred Bonney »

A 6:12 out of the middle Trent, I've also had one a bit further down river at the same size

Return to “River Trent”