Angling suspended

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
Bob Brookes
Zander

Angling suspended

Post by Bob Brookes »

The Nottingham Piscatorial Society, who control some of the finest river fishing, have made the brave, and I believe correct, decision to stop fishing a prime section of the Trent. This decision has been made to protect barbel and other species during the extremely low river levels and hot temperatures, that has resulted in low levels of dissolved oxygen. The harder fighting fish, such as the barbel, require great care before releasing after capture and even then may struggle to recover fully.

As I already said I think it a brave and correct decision. It surely must raise doubts whether the fixed term 3 month sabbatical between March and June is the correct timing for a nationwide cessation of coarse fishing.

Bob
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Angling suspended

Post by Watermole+ »

Well done the NPS!
It is the same here now on our stream but in this case, an entirely voluntary measure to not put the fish under any more stress than they already have to put up with.
The NPS decision is certainly the correct one, but not necessarily what I would call brave; more like commonsense; a humane measure. In other words, a recognition that our fish need to be protected when under stress and in conditions like this..

..The three month close season-for all it's faults- was introduced very much for the same reasons..

Just my thoughts.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Michael
Tench

Post by Michael »

Its pure common sense, I haven't contemplated fishing for barbel or anything else, in these adverse conditions. But well done for making it compulsory, as it'll stop the idiots...

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

Excellent decision, Bob.
My local rivers are extremely low. It will be interesting to see how much of a downpour we get today especially as the forecast is promising.
Russ

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

A bold and correct decision by the club there Bob. Doubtless many will continue to plunder the river whilst it's out of sorts. I've been hearing of dead barbel on the Trent possibly (probably) through mistreatment after capture.

It's cooler today with rain possible so my first trip to the lake in a long while will see me wander around looking for an opportunity and the proper fishing is likely to take place next week.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Very good decision NPS, will be interesting if any other stretches of the Trent follow suit, I’ve yet to fish my little Lincs stream as it’s so low fish will be concentrated in what in even normal conditions are not deep pools. Just hope that furry or winged predators stay away.
Tight lines Dave

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

One of my clubs (Lymm) have closed fishing on all their river sections.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

The other week I went fishing over our local marshland dykes and was shocked at how the water levels had gone down and the weed was taking over. To be honest I was only there a short while, took a few snaps and packed up.

John M
Dace

Post by John M »

although the Burton Mutual have not gone for a ban yet they have asked members to consider using our canals and stillwaters instead.
As no man is born an artist,
so no man is born an angler.

Izaak Walton 1593-1683

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

The Thames at least is looking pretty and at normal summer levels (controlled by weirs more than lack of rain) and certainly no lack of oxygen because one can see the weeds fizzing making it in all this sunshine.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “River Trent”