Signature of A E Hobbs

This forum belongs to Albert Edward Hobbs.
Chalky
Minnow

Signature of A E Hobbs

Post by Chalky »

I have already added a post with this photo in "books and magazines" but I thought maybe A E Hobbs signature added to the hall of fame would be of interest . This dedication is on the flyleaf of my copy of "Trout of the Thames" and is much treasured for the reason I have mentioned in my other post. IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/v67xft.jpg[/IMG] Image

Mike Wilson
Perch

Re: Signature of A E Hobbs

Post by Mike Wilson »

If its of interest I have a copy of his birth certificate.
Hobbs, in my view, was probably the best Thames angler of all time. I had the good fortune to see something like 70 cases of his fish which at one time [about 1970 ]were in the sample room of Brakspear Brewery. I spent some time researching and seeking his grave until I learned that he was cremated.
For those of you that have visited the Lands End Pub in Twyford for book launches etc might be interested to know it was one designed by Hobbs who was an architect working in Hart Street Henley

Mike

Chalky
Minnow

Post by Chalky »

I agree Mike a great angler, my Grandfather lived a few doors away from Brakspears Brewery in New Street, Henley- on -Thames in the 1940's and I am sure knew him as there angling clubs fished together. I saw some of his fish in the Henley River & Rowing museum, they were on display about 10 years ago Jacko.
Last edited by Chalky on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

Jacko
I was a bit disappointed with what was available in the museum compared with what I saw all those years ago. I had a free hand at Brakespears as they purchased all their bottles from us [Rockware Glass]. Great to see.

Mike

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I 've often wondered if he's related to the Hobbs that run Hobbs Marina in Henley. During summer their day boats pass by me daily.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Mike Wilson
Perch

Post by Mike Wilson »

No Santiago, not related at all. In fact searching the Henley graveyards and council records there are a lot of Hobbs [ and Hobs, and Hobbes ] in the surrounding areas. I thought the same as you and was told no although if one goes back far enough I don't doubt the was some connection.

Mike

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Thanks Mike! I really thought they might be. It's interesting how some surnames are very common is some small towns from relatives of a distant and forgotten past.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Albert Edward Hobbs”