The Redmire stock.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
JPC
Bleak

Re: The Redmire stock.

Post by JPC »

Firstly a thanks to Mark for clarifying the situation regarding the current Redmire fish stocks. Secondly for along with Les and Ian making a very difficult but very correct decision to supplement the original Redmire commons with some much needed Leney mirrors.
I don't do Facebook/social media but several of my friends do and have therefore shown me some of the ill informed comments posted over the past week or so. Some of these people just have no concept of what has happened to the Pool and its inhabitants in recent years, the silting up has become well known but only those who have fished there and caught fish would know of the sorry state of many of the fish. Mark writes of otter damage and he is being polite, much of the damage I have seen is angler inflicted. I have wound in lost rigs and have taken other rigs out of trees as have some of my friends, four ounce leads, heavy braid shock leaders, etc. I know some anglers
fish there with very powerful rods and very strong lines, Redmire fish have soft mouths, sadly many have damaged mouths.
I also felt that the fish were in pretty poor overall condition due to the overcrowding and poor water quality.
That the Pool has needed the recent restoration work I think has been generally accepted but the stock has also needed thinning out and an injection of young Leney mirrors will be of massive benefit to the Pool in future years.
The real Redmire lovers will know the criticism is not justified they will also know that what has been done is exactly the right thing, nothing lasts forever.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Thanks for that John.... Means a great deal coming from you!

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

https://baitworks.libsyn.com/?fbclid=Iw ... trlfhzMTFU

A recent interview I was asked to do with Mike Holly, which may be of interest to some.... Not just about Redmire but includes Ashmead, carp rigs and even Chris' hamster!

TemeLAD
Crucian Carp

Post by TemeLAD »

Really enjoyed that Skeff - looking forward to meeting up again early August when we return to glorious Ashmead. Cheers Les :Hat:
"I can't wait to buy a bamboo pole and a filament of line and a tube of breadcrumbs. I want to participate in this practice which allows a man to be alone with himself in dignity and peace. It seems a very precious thing to me".

John Steinbeck

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Likewise Les...

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

Thanks Skeff for posting this and for all the work!

I have read a lot about Redmire. I don't suppose I shall ever fish there but it is great to hear that much of the damage, mistakes and neglect of recent decades has been put right.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Yes! if Redmire was to continue then this monumental undertaking was in dire need and most definitely by people who apart from there undoubted knowledge have a ‘oneness’ with the pool - the sad thing is that within the thread Skeff has given us I read JPC’s post - unbelievable really - and therein lies another issue to overcome - all this hard and necessary work only for persons who know know better than read an article and apply it to every situation encountered - may I venture to say that unless a strict hold over those that wish to fish Redmire is implemented all this hard work will be forever compromised - surely a better system needs implementing than the current set-up, any prospective fisher surely needs to be vetted - even a basic paper to outline the basic principles needed to fish the pool and how to respect the inhabitants.

Peter
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Post by Northern_Nomad »

Snape wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:32 pm
PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 pm I have fished a pool in Worcestershire since the mid 1970s rumoured from reliable sources to have received some small carp from Redmire in the late 1950s early 60s so perhaps the original Redmire stock and their offsprings are more widely spread than perhaps thought.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Redmire carp were moved all over the place. I once saw a letter written by Eddie Price saying how he and others took 14 carp from Redmire and stocked them in a pool at Bourton on the Water.

.......and they and their offsprings are doing very well indeed ..... :Wink: :Chuckle:

"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:13 pm
Snape wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:32 pm
PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:52 pm I have fished a pool in Worcestershire since the mid 1970s rumoured from reliable sources to have received some small carp from Redmire in the late 1950s early 60s so perhaps the original Redmire stock and their offsprings are more widely spread than perhaps thought.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Redmire carp were moved all over the place. I once saw a letter written by Eddie Price saying how he and others took 14 carp from Redmire and stocked them in a pool at Bourton on the Water.

.......and they and their offsprings are doing very well indeed ..... :Wink: :Chuckle:

Utterly FABULOUS N.M. - So pleased you posted this.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Northern_Nomad wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:13 pm

Wow! :Hat:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Return to “Redmire Pool”