For Sale Again

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Goosequill
Dace

Re: For Sale Again

Post by Goosequill »

Just read about it in this weeks Angling Times and on the face of that article it sounds like the new owners get the vibe about the place and its history and was a generally positive sounding message. Time, of course, will tell but a new chapter begins and it will be very interesting to see how it unfolds.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Sad to see all the social media dummy spitting and accusations about the stock that has been put back into the pool after the first few captures have hit peoples screens.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Please excuse my ignorance when I ask this ...

Like most folk, I have read of the exploits of Richard Walker and his friends in the 1950's, but was his the first generation to discover and catch the size of fish which confirmed the true potential of the lake?
Last edited by Banksy on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Double-posted!

Post by Banksy »

Sorry!

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

Well yes and no. Walker's era was the first that really had the ability to capture successive large carp from the pool. However, there is a set-up (stuffed) Herefordshire caught carp that pre-dates Bob Richard's Redmire record. It is entirely possible that this cased carp is a Redmire fish and I think it represents a record at the time it was caught. Whether these one-off captures of big fish, prior to the Carp Catchers Club days, represents and confirms the true potential of the lake is really down to how you choose to define that. If multiple captures of big carp are necessary then I'd say yes, it's Bob Richard's fish, Walker's two and Pete Thomas' 28 that really combine to define Redmire as the premier carp water and their writings are the first to hint at even larger fish.

Equally you could argue that it's not until Yates' Bishop that Redmire's real potential (ie. to produce an out-of-this-world over sized fish) is realised. Or alternatively you could protest and say Redmire's potential was actually never realised; if you believe there were carp of absolutely astonishing size that were never caught. I belong to this last group but then I'm a dreamer – the wonderful Eddy Price image and sightings of the King suggest that such a fish might have weighed 80 or even as much as 90lbs and that may represent Redmire's true potential back-in-the-day.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 pm Sad to see all the social media dummy spitting and accusations about the stock that has been put back into the pool after the first few captures have hit peoples screens.
Pathetic isn't it Shaun? I love anti-social media and carp anglers! Never let a lack of facts and information get in the way of a good old ranting, swearing and mindless posting session!

Just to be clear for those here, all of the carp in the pool today are now Leney's of Redmire origin. I will add detail at some point because the history of the pool is so important but for the time being I am bound by my agreement with the owners not to discuss the details of the stock.

Shaun Harrison
Zander

Post by Shaun Harrison »

Skeff wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:14 am
Shaun Harrison wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:30 pm Sad to see all the social media dummy spitting and accusations about the stock that has been put back into the pool after the first few captures have hit peoples screens.
Pathetic isn't it Shaun? I love anti-social media and carp anglers! Never let a lack of facts and information get in the way of a good old ranting, swearing and mindless posting session!

Just to be clear for those here, all of the carp in the pool today are now Leney's of Redmire origin. I will add detail at some point because the history of the pool is so important but for the time being I am bound by my agreement with the owners not to discuss the details of the stock.
Looking forward to the talk and catch up July 6th.

If I were the new owner at Redmire looking in on those rants, I don't think I would particularly relish the thought of allowing so called anglers back on and it would be totally natural to assume the new owners will be following all Redmire relevant pages. :Hat:

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Likewise Shaun - look forward to meeting you! And I agree; I wouldn't want anything to do with carp fishing after reading some of the posts!

I missed most of the social media unpleasantness I'm pleased to say because I was in Devon at another classic carp water where I've opened the traditional season for the past 37 years, with the same small group of Golden Scale Club friends. No phones, just a beautiful pool, wonderful company, tea and ancient carp. The contrast couldn't be more marked!

Barbulus
Tench

Post by Barbulus »

Well I live in Devon Skeff and I seem to have missed the invitation to that ............ oh well.

Relative to this post however, I have decided that I shall not fish Redmire again. I think you and colleagues have undertaken a superb job in restoration and admire and respect all that was done this last year or so. I think it already shows dramatic, and sustainable, improvement and cannot understand how anyone can in any sense criticise what has been done; long overdue but it has now been completed.

In many respects now, a large part of me would hope that the pool is simply allowed to flourish anew without the disturbance of fishing although I do very much understand the economics. Anyway, for me, my attention is likewise drawn to other pools in the country that do not have the pressure associated with them and without any "social media" type characters.

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Barbulus wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:40 pm Well I live in Devon Skeff and I seem to have missed the invitation to that ............ oh well.

Relative to this post however, I have decided that I shall not fish Redmire again. I think you and colleagues have undertaken a superb job in restoration and admire and respect all that was done this last year or so. I think it already shows dramatic, and sustainable, improvement and cannot understand how anyone can in any sense criticise what has been done; long overdue but it has now been completed.

In many respects now, a large part of me would hope that the pool is simply allowed to flourish anew without the disturbance of fishing although I do very much understand the economics. Anyway, for me, my attention is likewise drawn to other pools in the country that do not have the pressure associated with them and without any "social media" type characters.
I agree with you.... Sorry about the oversight with the invitation!

Return to “Redmire Pool”