Restoration.

This forum belongs to Redmire Pool.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Restoration.

Post by Dave Burr »

Skeff, you must now have an immense amount of insider knowledge of Redmire and there must be a stack of people who'd love to interrogate you. Do you have kidnap insurance? Just a thought.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Liphook wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am With any lake restoration you will find detractors. With this restoration you will be under the microscope of many, including I suspect a majority who have opinions but no 1st hand knowledge of the water! That makes for no easy task. I've been lucky enough to restore several small stillwaters over the years and it's important for all to remembering that a good haircut eventually grows back! Our syndicate had some heated discussions with a couple of outraged members after the renovation of a small pond. 5 years later those same members now understand the importance of doing a proper job in the first place! It can look harsh initially to the untrained eye, particularly because much of the work is best done now as we move into winter.
The best of luck with it all :Hat:
Really good post Liphook
Thanks also to Mark for the update and work being done. Anyone who criticises the restoration work being done obviously has no concept of the recent condition and state of the Pool and of course it's inhabitants.
I first fished Redmire in June 1975 and last fished it in August of this year (2018). The changes over those forty three years are both sad and scandalous, this is mainly down to a lack of maintenance (no funds available to pay for it) and the intense potato farming in the fields behind the West Bank, only the building and the rebuilding of swims plus some planting has taken place in the past thirty years or so. This work was normally carried out by volunteers, friends of Les who were happy to help.
The old syndicate had a series of work parties every close season where the bankside growth was kept under control, the original punt repaired (the owners liked to go out in it sometimes), general tidying up of the pitchs and the leaking dam shored up.
To give the knockers some idea of the decline over my forty odd years of visiting the Pool read on.
The Pool has shrunk by at least twenty five yards in length, in the main the shallows have silted up, the Pool is also in places not as wide as it was. The shallows in particular are now a lot narrower plus where swims have been constructed they have encroached into the Pool. An example being the Willow Pitch, when the syndicate fished it you could not set up your shelter behind your rods, you had to set it up to the side of them, Keffords, the Evening Pitch, the Stumps and Cranstoun's have all been built out into the lake. The depth of the Pool has changed dramatically, back in seventies and early eighties we had ten maybe eleven feet of water in most of the centre channel plus the bottom out from both the Style and Keffords was very firm, you could wade out around twenty yards from both swims in chest waders to bait up that bit further with light baits such as hemp. Now or should I say a few months ago I doubt there was five feet of water down the centre of the Pool plus the silt out from the Style was over two foot deep ! The water back in the seventies and early eighties was crystal clear, from the climbing trees around the Pool you could, weed permitting, always see all the bottom except in the centre channel, the last few visits of mine has seen the water a dirty brown colour or as on my last visit a dark bottle green !

The growth around the Pool has also gone unchecked, the trees in particular have grown and multiplied since the syndicate days, we always used to cut them back or if they looked a bit iffy take them out. Now there so many, most of which are quite big and therefore sucking hundreds of gallons of water out of the Pool every week plus in the Autumn where do all the dead leaves go ? The dam has foliage right across it, I was told when I did some research into dam's after the owners asked me if the syndicate could repair its leaks that you had to keep the dam side facing the water clear of any growth because the roots would force their way into the slates which eventually cause the dam to leak !

The stock, well when the syndicate left there were perhaps thirty to thirty five twenty pound fish in the Pool, the biggest being the thirty pound mirror, I don't remember of any monster sightings after 81 although I might be wrong. I know several fish "disappeared" over the next couple of years however that's another story. We also had quite a few fish mostly commons in the eight to eighteen pound bracket, now there are so many small fish in the Pool I just couldn't hazard a guess, add to that there are quite a few ghosties and Leney/Ghost hybrids. How many twenty pound fish, again wouldn't like to say, a dozen perhaps.

I have only met and spoken to Mark a few times (I have also fished his wonderful lake) but I been have massively impressed by his knowledge and commitment plus his huge desire to get things right regarding the Redmire Rejuvenation, taking thoughts, information and advice from every quarter. I am certain that those who really know this lovely old water will be right behind his efforts, great job, mate.

Jardine
Perch

Post by Jardine »

JPC wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:32 pm
Liphook wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am With any lake restoration you will find detractors. With this restoration you will be under the microscope of many, including I suspect a majority who have opinions but no 1st hand knowledge of the water! That makes for no easy task. I've been lucky enough to restore several small stillwaters over the years and it's important for all to remembering that a good haircut eventually grows back! Our syndicate had some heated discussions with a couple of outraged members after the renovation of a small pond. 5 years later those same members now understand the importance of doing a proper job in the first place! It can look harsh initially to the untrained eye, particularly because much of the work is best done now as we move into winter.
Really good post Liphook
Thanks also to Mark for the update and work being done. Anyone who criticises the restoration work being done obviously has no concept of the recent condition and state of the Pool and of course it's inhabitants.
I first fished Redmire in June 1975 and last fished it in August of this year (2018). The changes over those forty three years are both sad and scandalous, this is mainly down to a lack of maintenance (no funds available to pay for it) and the intense potato farming in the fields behind the West Bank, only the building and the rebuilding of swims plus some planting has taken place in the past thirty years or so. This work was normally carried out by volunteers, friends of Les who were happy to help.
The old syndicate had a series of work parties every close season where the bankside growth was kept under control, the original punt repaired (the owners liked to go out in it sometimes), general tidying up of the pitchs and the leaking dam shored up.
To give the knockers some idea of the decline over my forty odd years of visiting the Pool read on.
The Pool has shrunk by at least twenty five yards in length, in the main the shallows have silted up, the Pool is also in places not as wide as it was. The shallows in particular are now a lot narrower plus where swims have been constructed they have encroached into the Pool. An example being the Willow Pitch, when the syndicate fished it you could not set up your shelter behind your rods, you had to set it up to the side of them, Keffords, the Evening Pitch, the Stumps and Cranstoun's have all been built out into the lake. The depth of the Pool has changed dramatically, back in seventies and early eighties we had ten maybe eleven feet of water in most of the centre channel plus the bottom out from both the Style and Keffords was very firm, you could wade out around twenty yards from both swims in chest waders to bait up that bit further with light baits such as hemp. Now or should I say a few months ago I doubt there was five feet of water down the centre of the Pool plus the silt out from the Style was over two foot deep ! The water back in the seventies and early eighties was crystal clear, from the climbing trees around the Pool you could, weed permitting, always see all the bottom except in the centre channel, the last few visits of mine has seen the water a dirty brown colour or as on my last visit a dark bottle green !

The growth around the Pool has also gone unchecked, the trees in particular have grown and multiplied since the syndicate days, we always used to cut them back or if they looked a bit iffy take them out. Now there so many, most of which are quite big and therefore sucking hundreds of gallons of water out of the Pool every week plus in the Autumn where do all the dead leaves go ? The dam has foliage right across it, I was told when I did some research into dam's after the owners asked me if the syndicate could repair its leaks that you had to keep the dam side facing the water clear of any growth because the roots would force their way into the slates which eventually cause the dam to leak !

The stock, well when the syndicate left there were perhaps thirty to thirty five twenty pound fish in the Pool, the biggest being the thirty pound mirror, I don't remember of any monster sightings after 81 although I might be wrong. I know several fish "disappeared" over the next couple of years however that's another story. We also had quite a few fish mostly commons in the eight to eighteen pound bracket, now there are so many small fish in the Pool I just couldn't hazard a guess, add to that there are quite a few ghosties and Leney/Ghost hybrids. How many twenty pound fish, again wouldn't like to say, a dozen perhaps.

I have only met and spoken to Mark a few times (I have also fished his wonderful lake) but I been have massively impressed by his knowledge and commitment plus his huge desire to get things right regarding the Redmire Rejuvenation, taking thoughts, information and advice from every quarter. I am certain that those who really know this lovely old water will be right behind his efforts, great job, mate.
Thank you for putting it all into perspective John, nature aided by the hand of man seems to have taken over.
I hope that Mark succeeds with this project, but it is a huge undertaking and the decline so great that maybe it won't be possible.
Lets hope for the best...
By the way do you know how and when and WHY the ghost carp were introduced into the pool?
Best regards
Mem

Note. I have amended my post to include the word “ maybe”, which was what I originally wanted to say.
Last edited by Jardine on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I was so disappointed when I first saw Redmire. It looked a shadow of how I had imagined it or as I had seen it from old photo's. I could not summon the desire to wet a line there. I had not realised just how bad the deterioration was or the amount of silting that had taken its hold on the lake.
Now, having read this thread, I am really looking forward to the next few years and possibly a trip there.

The thought of a clear and weedy lake just like the old Redmire is a mouth watering. I suspect the fish will greatly benefit too.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

I think that Dick and all his companions would be absolutely thrilled to know of this project. Dick left a massive legacy for us all. It is wonderful that you guys are working to preserve this legacy for future generations.
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

GregF
Crucian Carp

Post by GregF »

Skeff wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 pm
GregF wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm
Skeff wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am
We have confirmed some Redmire myths and fables!
Pitchford's Pit really is bottomless? :holmes:

Exactly that Greg!!! There is a major spring there and the force of water is just incredible! We will be working in that area next week but I can easily imagine a huge pit in the lake bed scoured out by the force of the spring... Interestingly items been a real summer hotshot for me....
Fascinating stuff! It certainly is an unusual place and full of surprises.
Wishing you every success for the rest of the project :Hat:
"Give up haste and ambition, close your mouth, only then will you comprehend the spirit of Tao" - Lao Tze

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Here is the Redmire I would like to see back..... :Sun:

Photo from https://americancarpsociety.com/uk-carp-history/
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Gary Bills
Rainbow Trout

Post by Gary Bills »

Skeff wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 pm
GregF wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:52 pm
Skeff wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:01 am
We have confirmed some Redmire myths and fables!
Pitchford's Pit really is bottomless? :holmes:

Exactly that Greg!!! There is a major spring there and the force of water is just incredible! We will be working in that area next week but I can easily imagine a huge pit in the lake bed scoured out by the force of the spring... Interestingly items been a real summer hotshot for me....
Wow! I think everyone did think this was just a myth. This is amazing...!

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:22 am Skeff, you must now have an immense amount of insider knowledge of Redmire and there must be a stack of people who'd love to interrogate you. Do you have kidnap insurance? Just a thought.
I was counting on you to provide protection and act as Bouncer Dave....!! :surrender:

Skeff
Crucian Carp

Post by Skeff »

JPC wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:32 pm
Really good post Liphook

Thank you for your continued support and those kind words John. It's a massive undertaking and we won't complete every aspect of the restoration that I personally would want to do but we have made fantastic progress already and I am confident we will set Redmire up for the next generation of anglers to enjoy, as you did in its heyday. I would love to meet you all there again in the spring to show you what we have achieved.

The worst storm in Wales for the last ten years hasn't helped but we will finish the work on schedule next week and Redmire can recuperate in peace.

All best wishes John. Skeff

Return to “Redmire Pool”